Let's see those homemade groover set-ups!(pre-use) - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Unread 2 Days Ago   #11

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I thought about building a Johnny clone, but $300 in pipe fittings before I even got started, and I passed on the idea.

Went with an EcoSafe for more frequent use (weekends and small group multidays) and will use a 20mm can for the big trip should I pull a permit.

I'll DIY damn-near anything, but outside of building a nice seat for a 20mm can, am passing on DIY-ing this round.

I appreciate Whitewater Worthy's accessory box. IMHO dedicating the time and space to a 20mm can for your seat and TP is a waste of volume and weight (unless your plan is that it doubles as a spare tank). Accessories could be in a much narrower/lighter ply/plastic/aluminum box. If you think about it, your seat can get wet; you just want dry TP.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 2 Days Ago   #12

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Here is a link to my johhny partner build. My fittings where $200 with shipping. More if you need a cone but i live close to a scat machine.. love my johnny, we have 3 in my group, 2 are clones one is the real deal so getting extra tanks on big trips is not a problem.. https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...s/51371?page=4

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Hours Ago   #13

Lowell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzpollon View Post
Sorry to ask the obvious - but I've just never been clear on this:

An ammo can covers the reusable? (Even if it doesn't have a cleanout other than opening it?)

An ammo can covers the double wall?
We use the scat machine most times but I have a lid with a clean out as well. I am not aware of a double wall requirement. Even the $800 Johnny is still single wall.
First I’ve heard of the double wall requirement was last summer on the Rogue. They didn’t like my gamma-lidded 5-gal bucket because it wasn’t double walled. They gave me a handful of wag bags to use. Maybe plastic should be double walled?
Gchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 9 Hours Ago   #14

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchapman View Post
First Iíve heard of the double wall requirement was last summer on the Rogue. They didnít like my gamma-lidded 5-gal bucket because it wasnít double walled. They gave me a handful of wag bags to use. Maybe plastic should be double walled?
???

Not my experience.

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...cooponpoop.pdf
Unread 1 Hour Ago   #15

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I built these for my eco safe groover and seat, one for each. That way I could save weight, hang from frame and tie down. Less than 1/2 the weight of a surplus rocket box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0125.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	33847