Let's build a trailer - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-09-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
Let's build a trailer

I have a trailer that I'm having modified, but it seems it might be easier just to build one the way I want.
14 foot raft NRS with self bailing floor.
truck box on the front for lifejackets, etc
motorcycle tray on the tongue for shuttle
storage underneath the raft is key for oars, coolers, other camping gear for longer trips, etc.
What do you love on your raft?
What do you hate on it?
Feel free to post pics, my buddy and I are designing one and figure this would be a good place to get some ideas that will save some headaches in the future.
How long would you make it?
How much raft would you let hang over the back, etc.
What dimensions would you make it.
There has been some debate over 20 x 6 feet.
14 feet for raft, 2 for box, 2 for bike, 4 for tongue. Seems awfully long, maybe have 12 feet for raft and 2 hang off the back.
Red line on last pic shows tube center to tube center of 64-65". There will probably be 2-3 cross bars. Dark planks will be 2x10 or 2 x 12 with some rollers recessed in them to roll the raft up but still have a relatively flat surface for raft to sit upon.
Attached are some pics. Vehicle is a newer 4runner.
Lots of scattered ideas, please let me know your thoughts, I appreciate it greatly.
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	11118   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 2.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	11119  

Name:	trailer 3.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	11120  

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016   #2

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1457571568.052728.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	11122Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1457571597.206591.jpg
Views:	1456
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	11123

I cheated. I started with a tent trailer that I tore down to the frame. The front deck will hold a 4 wheeler or bike (and/or coolers and last minute loaded stuff). The center compartment isn't complete, but I'll clad that in diamond plate and put in a slide out shelf. It will be lockable storage. Still have some tweaking to do.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Guiltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016   #3

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
You're basically designing a sawtooth welding raft trailer without the full top. He will make them in different lengths but a 5x12 with a 5 foot tongue would give you enough length for boat and bike. Two to three feet of overhang on each end is fine.

I've thought of doing something similar and have been eyeballing some pj trailers. But a buddy might build me a flatbed too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016   #4

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
https://youtu.be/yI_aLHu-fWU
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
This is what I am planning on building at some point, It will have a wood plank floor with a plywood removable top for full access. The openings on the back and side will be doors for access when the boat is loaded. The height is tall enough to fit coolers and dry boxes and it is long enough to fit a 10' oar. It will have a cooler frame on the tong for extra cargo space.

I want a trailer that can carry my boat and gear broken down for long trips and have access to all of the contents when it is loaded. I have a flat bed trailer now and it never has enough room and no protection from the elements and road grime. I want to keep it low profile for ease of loading but need to maintain some clearance for rough roads. Still working on the design and thinking it through but going to find someone local to fab it for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Raft Trailer 1.png
Views:	625
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	11126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raft Trailer 2.png
Views:	432
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	11127  

Old 03-09-2016   #6

Denver, Colorado
Thanks, all, keep them coming.
I don't think I need a pop-up camper. We still camp and backpack.
My current trailer has a wood plank floor, main complaint is everything is covered in dust and road grime by the time we get there or home. Slats are not touching, have 1/2" or so gap between them and that fine silt we find on river roads flies in there and makes layers of goodness.
Debating a metal floor with a few holes drilled for drainage.
Old 03-09-2016   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
A raft trailer will never be without dust, road grime or what not, no matter what you do. Don't try to seal it, because shit'll get in there no matter what. Remeber, it's right behind a dust stirring monster, the whole way. As for drain holes, if you can get your trailer level, even slightly to where you need drain holes, I'd be surprised. Just leave a littel space here or there and it'll drain.
Old 03-09-2016   #8

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Something to consider get a truck bed bag to put your gear in. I bought one for the trailer and it keeps almost all the dust off. Mine is huge approximately 4x6' will hold anything I can throw at it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Maybe I'm missing something, but the higher up that raft sits on the trailer the harder it is to winch back onto the trailer at the take-out ? Plus, the winch mast has to be really tall. I'm curious ...
billn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016   #10

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by billn View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but the higher up that raft sits on the trailer the harder it is to winch back onto the trailer at the take-out ? Plus, the winch mast has to be really tall. I'm curious ...
The higher the box, the higher you have to lift the raft for sure, I like the idea of the slope on the design I first posted. In looking at Sawtooth Welding, it looks pretty similar to what I want, the ramp might be nice, or just use the winch from where it's mounted on top of the box and pull it up as you pick it up a little bit.
Keep the ideas coming please?
Is there anything you want on your trailer that you don't have?
Is there anything you have on your trailer that you don't like?
Any other thoughts on building one?