leaking Rome Cooker/D.O. - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-14-2015   #1

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
leaking Rome Cooker/D.O.

Recently I found and purchased a Rome three handle Cooker it appeared to be in like new condition, perhaps even new old stock.

After cooking in it I have unfortunately found that it leaks through a small chip which oddly enough can be found on both sides of the base of the cooker, it must have been a defect (air void?)

It drops a drop about 2-3 per second which made quite a mess of my stove.

After contacting the seller he has graciously offered a refund but I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to repair it?

Seems that soldering would be a fix but I would be concerned about the metals being introduced. Cant think of an adhesive to fill the chip.

Leaning towards returning it unless someone has a good idea. By the way called Rome Industries and they didn't have an easy solution.

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015   #2

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Welding or brazing might be your best bet. If the DO is aluminum the void can be filled with weld then ground and filed to shape. If it is cast iron brazing would work. Most machine shops could handle it. The weld or braze doesn't take much time, you could save some $ if you did the grinding and filing yourself.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #3

Post Falls, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
Welding or brazing might be your best bet. If the DO is aluminum the void can be filled with weld then ground and filed to shape. If it is cast iron brazing would work. Most machine shops could handle it. The weld or braze doesn't take much time, you could save some $ if you did the grinding and filing yourself.
perhaps I could check into it seems like it would be a hard thing to weld, thin cast aluminum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2015   #4

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Welding thin aluminum is done all the time. You could use an old moonshiners trick and just plug the hole with a dough ball made of flour and water. You would have to do it each time, but it's easier than cleaning the stove.
Old 12-15-2015   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
Welding thin aluminum is done all the time.
My dad was a mechanic in the Air Force, and swears that the welders he worked with could take two empty aluminum cans, stand them side-by-side, and weld them together vertically without burning a hole. With acetylene.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
I found this on YouTube... looks like you might be able to do it yourself.

Old 12-15-2015   #7

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
If it's aluminum find good tig welder and have him fix it. It shouldn't take long. Don't try to fix it yourself. The flux used for stick and gas welding is corrosive and if trapped will corrode from the inside making a giant mess that is really hard to fix.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015   #8

Post Falls, Idaho
Checking with a local welder today. Will let you know! Thanks for the advice all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 12-15-2015   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Recently I found and purchased a Rome three handle Cooker it appeared to be in like new condition, perhaps even new old stock.

I have unfortunately found that it leaks through a small chip which oddly enough can be found on both sides of the base of the cooker, it must have been a defect (air void?).
When I asked a manager at Rome Industries why they had discontinued manufacturing, he said that they had too many foundry rejects. Sounds like yours slipped through the QC check.

I'm sure you can find a welder to fill the hole, and it shouldn't cost much. It will be worth it. My three-handle-cooker is the most versatile and the most frequently piece of gear in my kitchen box.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015   #10

Post Falls, Idaho
Apparently much easier to weld than I thought, local body shop did it no charge. Fixed it from bottom side.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app