Leafield pressure relief valve adjustment? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-27-2017   #1

Leafield pressure relief valve adjustment?

Wondering about adjusing the pressure relief valve in the floor of my 13' Hyside self bailer. The floor doesn't have any holes or leaks but it takes a few times to get the floor firm. Too much and it bleeds off but stops. Adding a bit more air helps but then bleeds and the third time seems to take best. Have also considered swapping out the relief valve for a regular valve that does not auto adjust. Anyway, any thoughts are welcome.

billyblak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
It doesn't adjust. Depending on the valve it is set to a specific pressure by the spring inside of it. Typically 1.75-3 psi. Hysides typically come with a yellow dot (1.75) and they leak quickly because people let them blow off and they get dirt etc in the tiny little seal. I typically swap out yellow dots with blue (2) or brown(2.5). That allows the floor to stiffen up a bit before blowing off the valve. All PRV's are notorious for leaking especially if you are in the habit of pumping until they blow. The best thing to do is to take it out, take it apart and clean it. Re install the valve and dont let it blow off when you pump. If you cleaned it well enough and or the little seal ring is not worn away at all it will reseal. If it has been leaking for awhile and wont stop after cleaning, get a new valve. Actually get two. That way when it leaks on day 3 of your next trip you can swap it out and not worry about losing/ breaking little pieces in the field.

PRV's are a pain in the ass. FWIW i try and never let mine blow off and still plan on cleaning them several times a year. They just leak.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #3

I had a brown prv blow the v tape on a hyside floor. I asked NRS to put a warning to check for manufacture recommendations on prv replacement so others could avoid my pain. I don't know if there has been any change to the website. If you want a stiff floor buy a drop stich floor or put a hard floor in the capt well or be prepared for a very large repiar bill.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017   #4

Vanderwagen, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Try taking the valve out and cleaning it. There is a good video of how to do this on the NRS website. Just did mine and problem solved. I also have an extra in the repair kit. I have yet to use PRV covers. Seeing how this valve is on the floor, it's easy to see how it would get sand in it, especially in the muddy waters of the SW.
Mtnbuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #5
DailyBoater

Wheredat, USA
When I've cleaned my prv it only sometimes will perfectly seal afterwards, but it's usually better than it was before. For about $25 I like having a spare for when I'm in the middle of a trip and need to be more certain of having a prv that works very well.
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #6

The valve is new. Have cleaned them before with success in other rafts. Wondering if I can stretch the spring for adjustment, albeit minor? I'll look into color coded valves as well for a higher psi.
billyblak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
The higher the pressure, the better chance of blowing out V tape or an I beam.

On old Hysides and Avons......... less pressure in the floor means better tracking with a load.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
What do you recommend if your PRO is really, REALLY resistant to loosening by your valve wrench?
stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Stewart, assuming you have an A-6, twist harder. If you dont know the history of the boat in question there is a chance someone glued the valve or over wrapped it in teflon tape. Pumping the floor up stiff can help give you something more stable to twist on. If it is on an aire floor bladder those can be a real bitch. Pliers on the back of the valve is a bad idea. Ive repaired plenty of those. Worst case scenario it needs to be carefully cut into pieces to get it out.

Billy, I'd lean towards buying the pressure you want instead of risking the spring experiment. If your valve is new not only should it have a dot, but also should have the pressure stamped in the the body of the valve. Below is the link to the pressure chart.

http://www.leafieldmarine.co.uk/Port...A6%20Valve.pdf

Likely the root cause of the blown v tape wasn't the brown dot PRV. Any healthy floor should be able to take 2.5psi no phase. I have done the v tape on many a hyside that still had the yellow dot PRV. Typically water in the floor that has steamed over time (even if none is present when the floor blows) is the culprit and its somewhat common in boats purchased from outfitters. A lot of guides dont know or give a shit if they get water in the floor; its not their boat. I have also seen floors that just had weak spots where the glue didnt bond well to one side of the floor or the other. It is especially common in the hysides from 2000. The last 4 that I did, including the one I just finished up today, were all 2000 boats.
By all means if you think you have a weak floor, run a yellow dot and run it soggy. If you dont want to manage your floor pressure run yellow or blue. I'm not telling anyone to buy a stiffer PRV. I talk with customers about what they want and depending on what they say they end up with blue (2.0) or brown (2.5). I run white (2.75) in all my boats (even my 86' Avon) and just plan on managing the floor pressure myself, typically a little soft in gear boats. As I said above, I never let my PRV's blow off and relying on your PRV to tell you when to stop pumping is the best way to have a leaky PRV, or blow up your floor. The PRV can also only let a little bit of air out through the hole so if someone goes hog wild on a barrel pump and doesn't realize the PRV is blowing off they can bring the pressure up faster than the PRV can let it out. Next thing you know, blown I beam or v tape. I see the job of a PRV to let air out of the floor if it slowly sees a pressure increase due to temp, that is all I am counting on it for, and even then only if I overlook it.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #10

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks Zbaird! I'm thinking of sending the floor to Aire. I've put a lot of humph on my valve wrench and that valve won't budge. It seems like the only alternative would be to cut the floor underneath the valve and attach a clamp and use that as a base to twist the upper half of the valve against...and if the two upper and lower valve halves are glued together then even that might not work. If they are willing, I might ask if Aire won't mind tackling it and I'd pay repaitlr costs.
stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote