Leafield b7 vs c7? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-16-2014   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Leafield b7 vs c7?

I notice c7s due to having the guts on the outer part of the valve appear way easier to replace/repair. But I seem to recall reading somewhere that b7s are slightly better at holding air. Is this about the only key differences? I believe they are about the same price.

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014   #2

Boise, Idaho
AIRE has told me they use the C7s on the rafts because of the lower profile and paddlers/passengers being less likely to bump themselves on the flat cap while the B7s are used on the cats due to better air retention and not needing to worry about anyone bumping one.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
As far as I can tell there are zero advantages of a B-7 over a C-7. I dont know that I buy the air retention comment. I figured anyone using the two different valves was trying to use up their stock. Most every clean C-7 will hold air great for days without the cap on, although the cap should always be used to provide the final seal (on both valves), keep grit out, water out and to protect the innards. If grit gets inside the valve on any model, it will leak, period. Both valves will hold air great if they are clean and tight. I just got off of Cataract and I pumped my boat with C-7s up at the put in and never put another stroke into it over 7 days. Not sure what else you could ask from a valve.

The fact that the guts are on the outside portion of the C-7 is enough reason to never use any other valve in my opinion, until the D-7's come out of course. The A-7's and B-7's are a bitch to service. The lower profile cap is just an added bonus, albeit a nice one.

The blasted A-6 PRV is the valve that leaks like a sieve. 90% of boats that come into the shop have a leaking PRV. If someone would figure out a better design for a PRV that threads into an A-6 back you could sell it to every rafter on the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014   #4

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
I noticed they have D7's on the Leafield Marine website (UK). What would the advantages be, in layman's terms, of a D7 over a C7?
Old 09-17-2014   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

I have seen the schematic of the D-7 and have heard they are around now. From what I have heard, the biggest and best new feature will be that they will let air in and out faster. They will have a lower profile inside and out, and will thread into a C-7 back for anyone wanting to upgrade. The slimmer inside profile wont help those using the C-7 back, but the faster air up and down feature is especially exciting to me given the amount of time I spend blowing boats up and airing them down.
Old 09-17-2014   #6

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Sounds cool - I wonder how far away they are from becoming more mainstream. Here's a link to the D7 info on the Leafield website: D7 Inflation Valve and Deflation Valve
Old 09-17-2014   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Good link. They provide you with all the info you would ever want to know about their valves, and then some.