Lawn mower seat for raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-04-2011   #1

, MA
Lawn mower seat for raft?

I was wondering if anybody has used a lawn mower seat as the seat for their frame? The NRS ones are great, but just a bit out of my league right now.

Mounting the seat wouldn't be a problem. I'd want to try to find a white or yellow or any color that is not black. But I'm curious if it would have other problems, like rusting.

Below is a link to a seat that amazon has, I'd be looking at something similar.

Amazon.com: Michigan Seat Lawn Tractor Seat, Model# V-250: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks for the opinions.

Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011   #2

Paddling Since: 1993
Thats a good Idea! Learn something new everyday. Let hear if it works!
h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #3

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Besides the rust potential that you already mentioned, the only other drawback I can think of would be lack of drain hole. The NRS seats have a drain hole so you're not sitting in a puddle of water all day long...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011   #4

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
This brings back some memories from about 30 years ago when we were building 2x6 wood frames with countersunk bolts. We put on a variety of seats, including bucket seats from some old cars on one of the frames. That frame went only where we didn't expect a flip! We felt like kings of the world, going down the river on a boat throne, sitting with that frame and drinking our refreshments.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The Michigan seats are one of the long-standing rafting seats. NRS quit selling them a few years ago when they started making their own (like so many products). Unfortunately "their own" aren't the same, way too much padding for me. I'd love the drain hole, but the fit is wrong. I think the NRS seats are made for 12 year old boys butts, but even one very petite woman I know still prefers the Michigan seat. It's great for wedging in and bracing hard against.

So no problems with Michigan, with one exception (plus the wet butt). The NRS bolt pattern is based on Michigan's bolt pattern, but not for the current low back seats. They have 4 bolt patterns on that stupid seat, but none match. Yes, I bought a new low back this year, and I need to make a bracket to make it fit. I believe the mid-back and high back still have the same old bolt pattern (specs on NRS web site). You are showing the low back seat, so if you use a fab'd bracket just keep this in mind.
Old 01-04-2011   #6

up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
I used to have a seat like that and it had the same bolt pattern as the new NRS high-back seat that I got last summer....as far as fit its all personal. I have a bad back, and the high back is key to solving some aches and pains for me. The one thing I have come to learn is buy it once not twice...comfort is key on a longer trip.
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #7

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerU View Post
Besides the rust potential that you already mentioned, the only other drawback I can think of would be lack of drain hole. The NRS seats have a drain hole so you're not sitting in a puddle of water all day long...
3/4" drill bit and some rust inhibitor....

I've rowed using a tractor seat for years.....although mine isn't as fancy as that.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #8

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
3/4" drill bit and some rust inhibitor....

I've rowed using a tractor seat for years.....although mine isn't as fancy as that.
That would ruin the padded portion. I would be less concerned about the rust. Some duct tape could be used on the hole I guess.

Just eat some Top Ramen for a few months and buy the NRS... LOL
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #9
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I have that very seat on the frame I fabricated last winter. If there is water pooled on it, swipe it off with your hand (or dump it if the seat is on a hinge). If it is too hot, grab a handful of river water and cool it off.

White color and drain holes did not justify the jump from $20 to $80. After a season using the lawn tractor seat, I found it not in the least frustrating.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #10

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I think the NRS seats are made for 12 year old boys butts.
Huh....I'm 6'-1" and 235 lbs and love the NRS seats that came with my frames. Don't know for sure which seats you're refering to, mine are 7 and 10 years old and came with Longhorn and stern frames.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, rafting, seat