Laura's Everything Bag
I didn't want to co-opt the other Everything bag thread, and since MT4Runner asked me about mine I thought I'd start my own thread about the bag I sewed from scratch. I made this bag last summer for our new 15'6" Sotar ST raft. I wanted it for an upcoming grand trip, and also for our typical Idaho dog trips. Attached photos show each panel, with a description of details. These didn't come out as well as I'd have liked, so I am also attaching the original photos directly. It was been folded up in storage, so it is going to look a bit weird as it wanted to keep its bunchedupedness and wouldn't lay flat.
I overbuilt the floor completely. At first I was thinking I would let it free hang, as I didn't want the weight of the beaverboard back there anymore. Then I decided that I'd put a piece of polymax inside for a small amount of rigidity. If I were building a new one, I wouldn't install nearly as many webbing crosses in the floor.
I used a lot of 1.5' webbing in the walls because I want this to be secure even in the case of a flip and a chunder. I don't trust the fabric, so wanted to make it a sort of a webbing enclosure too. I may still sew in some crosses in the side panels, but I ran out of time in getting ready for the grand last year. Actually, I think the day I finished it was the day I went into the ER and ended up getting my gallbladder removed. That was not the ideal T-14 day event, but that is another story.
I sewed this on my home machine, and it was EXHAUSTING. The damn thing is heavy, and it was like a wrestling match to move it around. There aren't many home machines that could do this, mine was actually a good machine back in the day and it has been a workhorse for 25 years. I think this may have been its partial retirement project. If I ever sew anything like this again I will need a heavy duty machine. I use heavy duty polyester thread, coates and clark. I may add a gusset or two on the stern so it is not so tight back there, crossing my fingers that my machine has rested up for it.....
I hope the description on the photos gives a good enough explanation. Basically I wanted it to mushroom a bit. I made the base to fit the stern footprint exactly. If you oversized your bag you would not need to mushroom out as much, but I wanted it to fit the boat pretty well. If I needed maximum space I would have made it wider at the bottom, and that would have helped on the grand, but I wanted to make sure it also formed a solid dog platform base. If you look at my boat rigging pictures, you can see it doesn't look to mushroom much at all.
I didn't get squat for on-boat photos but have included the few snippets I could find that hopefully show it. I had a monster steel directors chair just under the lid so you can't really get much of a feel for a shape. You should be able to see the stack of buckets in the very back, under the lid. They are not inside the bag since it was a big tighter in the back than I would have liked. It worked great to put the buckets there, as they are the handwash and always last on the boat.
I hope this helps anyone and everyone! Pray for snow, pray for permits!
Living in Montana, boating in Idaho