Ladies PFD & Splash Gear Recommendations - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Gunnison, Colorado
Ladies PFD & Splash Gear Recommendations

Calling all boat betties -

I am in the market for a new high float PFD that will be worn for day trips and up to three-week trips. Recommendations?

And, while I have your attention

I live in CO, and usually, the name of the game is to stay dry on the river. I have some hand-me-down splash gear that is not cutting it anymore.

What are your recommendations for splash top and bottoms?

Thanks!

coloradorehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

I am not a Bettie, but I know some. My wife, and daughter and sons's girlfriend all have Astral Layla pfds and like them a lot. In the case of at least two of them, the Layla was selected after trying on a whole lot of other models.

But, fit is important and we are not all shaped the same, so if you can spend some time trying on different models.
gdaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I'm a boat bettie....agree with gdaut, fit is everything. I've owned many of the top brands and not so top brands....purchased based on fit, features, price and a PFD that meets river regulations. Sunny Sports, Steep and Cheap, etc. (no affiliation) often have close out sales, but I would try on first, then order online; don't forget to use coupons!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Forgot splash gear....have used Level 6 and Stohlquist and used splash gear from outfitters...all very decent to shed water. Also, you might try "refreshing" gear to increase water shedding with wash in or water "proof" spray
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
If the name of the game is to stay dry on the river, save up your shekels and see if you can get a good deal on a drysuit or at least a semi-dry. This is especially true for those three-week trips when the weather turns to crap.

I know NRS has sales on Kokatat from time to time, and I think other retailers do, too. I'm a huge fan of Kokatat. Also recommend getting the zipper that lets you leave the suit on when you need some relief. There's another brand I don't recommend, but I won't mention their name since, if you can't say something nice....

For fair-weather splash and wind protection, I wear something a little thermal on the bottom, like hydroskin shorts or pants, and an appropriate layer on top with a semi-dry top (wrist gaskets but no neck gasket). Best of all worlds!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaut View Post
I am not a Bettie, but I know some. My wife, and daughter and sons's girlfriend all have Astral Layla pfds and like them a lot. In the case of at least two of them, the Layla was selected after trying on a whole lot of other models.

But, fit is important and we are not all shaped the same, so if you can spend some time trying on different models.

My wife picked the Layla out based upon fit and really likes it. I took her into a boat store and she tried on a bunch of different styles and sizes and that is what won out.
theusualsuspect is online now   Reply With Quote