Kokatat paddle suit vs other models? Cut question? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-07-2014   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Kokatat paddle suit vs other models? Cut question?

I purchased the goretex paddle suit due neoprene neck. I heard a lot of people say that they had developed allergies to latex do to the other designs so since I am a rafter and spend less time in the water it seemed like a perfect model, plus I can add the latex neck in the future for cheap if so desired. I never even got a chance to use it this year, but I tried it on and sat in my raft. It seemed to have excellent range of motion with no binding or pulling. But as I'm trying to sell it (due to cash needs for my house) I have had a lot of people ask me if the cut is different than the other models. Does anyone know if that is the case or if it would be less/more advantageous than other models for SUP or rafts or ??? Thanks

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Kokatat has excellent customer service. If you want the real skinny on it I would call them and they will tell you.
Old 10-07-2014   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
Do a Mt Buzz search on this topic.

You will find a ton of threads.

Bottom line Kokatat costs more, lasts longer, works better and customer service is better than the other brands. But some other brands will work just fine depending on how and where you use them.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Well, I was wondering about the fit, and how the cut compares to other models, but I took GHs advice and called Kokatat. They told me the cut is the same on all models unless you order something custom. The only difference is the neoprene neck. That surprises me since it is so much less expensive. So thanks I guess.
Old 10-15-2014   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The difference in price is due to the fabric the paddling suit is made from, and the neoprene neck, not in the design or cut of the suit. The Kokatat Super Nova paddling suits are made from Tropos T3 material, not Gore Tex. Tropos T3 is a breathable, waterproof fabric that works great, but isn't as breathable as GoreTex. I had a Super Nova for one season and it was a really nice option for rafters who can't afford/don't want/don't feel they need a full latex gasket drysuit. I found that mine wasn't seeing as much use as I thought it would and I needed new oars, so I sold it. A gal in Canada who does a lot of 3 season sea kayaking bought it and loves it.

The claim is that the neoprene neck (the wrists are latex gaskets) in the paddling suit will allow a small amount of water entry in a swim. I never swam in mine, so I can't say. I believe Alex aka Kazak4X4 and his wife use them, and like them. If I ever needed a dry suit in the future, I'd definitely get a Super Nova again.

PS - I just realized that Kokatat does sell a Goretex suit with a neoprene neck, so maybe that's what you have???? That seems like the best of both worlds to me. Good luck finding your suit a new home. Any Kokatat suit is a great investment.
Old 10-15-2014   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post

PS - I just realized that Kokatat does sell a Goretex suit with a neoprene neck, so maybe that's what you have???? That seems like the best of both worlds to me. Good luck finding your suit a new home. Any Kokatat suit is a great investment.
Yep, they sell both materials, but I have the GoreTex version. I agree that it is the best of both worlds. I was originally concerned that the "paddle" suit may restrict movement that is needed on a raft or cat but I'm no longer concerned. Thanks CatarafGirl.

I said "movement"