Knee Straps and Foot Braces for Hyside Padillac? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-16-2015   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Knee Straps and Foot Braces for Hyside Padillac?

I recently purchased a used Hyside Padillac and want to try some Class 3 rapids this summer. I have canoed whitewater but am completely new to inflatable kayaking. Do I need knee straps and foot braces?

Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
It will make you a much better paddler. I bought my Tomcat single in 08' and did only class II for 2years to get better with basics, the first time I tried a technical class III I found turning ability just wasn't good enough. I was encouraged to install footpegs and thighstraps. Your control and confidence will improve greatly and class IV will become possible, especially on technical stuff. Thigh straps for sure, footpegs are optional but actually makes for more comfort and lower back support cause you keep back pushed into seat better. Have a professional company install footpegs. Shop around for good deals.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Thank you for the input.

I live north of Golden, and near Down River. Would you recommend them or another business?
Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015   #4

Montrose, Colorado
Scott, I had my footpegs installed by Riverboat Works in Salida back in spring of 2010 during Paddlefest. The cost was $80 at that time so I'm sure it's abit more today. Like I said shop around, I'm sure Down River will be competitive. I found a great deal on watersport thighstraps for $20 on E-bay at the same time. You can buy NRS or others but cost will be way more. But if you can get a package deal all in one place that's the way to go.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #5
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
They make it a much more fun ride, you can control the boat yourself. I did a lot of IK boating without them in my first boat, and I fell out a fair amount. A lot of the time my IK would be right side up when I surfaced. I don't think I'd feel to comfortable without them now.
Old 04-16-2015   #6

Portland, Oregon
100% yes on the thigh straps. One alternative to foot pegs is strapping down foam block in front of IK --- not a Class V solution but should suffice for majority of other applications

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #7

San Juan Islands, Washington
I agree knee straps are a necessity if you want to really have control over your boat. Footpegs help too, but a good alternative is a foam block strapped to the floor. Here's one I put together for my lynx II when I use it solo. It works as well as the footpegs in my Sotar (maybe better).

tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I prefer a thwart or float bag instead of foot pegs. I don't like attaching any of these accessories (including the seat/thwart) to the floor. Have small D rings professionally installed and save your bailing holes.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #9

Portland, Oregon
I have taken my ducky through a fair amount of class IV at this point, and thigh straps are a necessity. A foot bracing mechanism less so.

I ran my lynx with a Sotar inflatable seat as a foot rest for a while. It was very comfortable, but it developed a leak and I've been too lazy to repair it so I took it out and actually found the performance of the boat to be greatly increased. Having something in the bow that is not particularly hydrodynamic is a detriment to crashing holes - something that Duckies already do not excel at.

Right now I have nothing in the bow, and I can't say I miss it that much. Just ran a new section of class III+ to IV- last weekend (Little North Santiam River just below Opal Creek) and I didn't particularly miss the foot brace.

Is it better to have a foot brace? Yes, but I want to be able to roll my ducky up tight, and pegs tend to make this achievable. I will eventually make something custom out of foam with a drink holder in it (similar to above), but I'm not even considering pegs.

my $.02.
Old 04-16-2015   #10
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'm thinking of trying a 6" workout foam roller for a foot brace in my Lynx. I can cut it to width and poke a hole through the center for a strap. I haven't even been out in it since I got a real seat and thigh straps in it. Might be doing the upper Clack next Thursday, maybe I'll take it instead of the raft...