Mountain Buzz banner

Kitchen Essentials, or some $H!T like that

15K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  MT4Runner 
#1 ·
So, I searched the forums, but couldn't find enough disparate opinions, so I thought I would start this thread. This is all under the assumption that you only row open cobras and never drain your cooler (or is it pins and clips and always drain), either way, what are your requirements for a "good kitchen" for a group of 16-20?

I am currently running a mish mash of stuff that doesn't conveniently fit in any box I have, and want to know your opinions about must have kitchen bits (such as knives, dutches, cast iron griddles, or not), nice gadgets (citrus juicer, muddler, and shaker) to worthless crap that people bring and you want to make fun of (most of the rest of my kitchen gear including pineapple shaped cups and drink umbrellas).

I am searching for the zen middle ground of kitchen, where I have everything for the trip that is needed, but not too much extra crap so that I have time to just abide with The Dude on the shores of the river, enjoy a smoke, and have a White Russian.

p.s. currently running (if memory serves)
-12" dutch
-10" dutch
-14" skillet
-6 quart stock pot
-2 quart stock pot
-knife roll with knives from my first marriage
-assorted spoons and spatulas
-paper plates and bowls (to be replaced sooner than later)
-cast iron griddle
-cocktail shaker
-random spices
-1 gallon pitcher with lid for batching cocktails
-random mismatched shite that ended up there

help me out!

See less See more
#4 ·
Run the dutchies in a stack with a bigass pot all strapped together. Put that on another boat with the blaster and a propane bomb. That will open up the space in your box for all the stuff you get made fun of for. Another thing it will do is give you something to cook on when you lose the kitchen boat on the Selway at high water and can't catch it because you are picking passengers off the bank/ out of the water. Not that it has ever happened on a trip Ive been on.... The third thing it does, and maybe the most important, is help to make the kitchen box non hernia inducing.

Stuff in the kitchen only need be sufficient to make the meals at hand. If everyone is doing brats and beans you don't need much but a pot, a big spoon and a can opener for THAT trip. If you have folks doing 5 course 5 star shit, you better have what they need or there can be hell to pay. To avoid that, if I am bringing the kitchen (my last choice of group gear to bring) I list all the basic items on the trip spreadsheet and let people know if someone needs something special they can add it and ill throw it in, or they bring it themselves. No reason to clean more stuff when I get home than needed.

#12 ·
I have an overnight/quickie trip kitchen box. It's in a semi-dry hanging file box.

• 10" GSI dutchie
  • 10" cast iron skillet
  • Plastic plates
  • Coozies
  • Knife/utensil roll
  • 48oz SS percolator and ground coffee
  • 2x 1# propane cylinders
  • Some spare cans of smoked oysters for an app
  • Lighter/soap/oil/salt/pepper

This and a coleman LPG burner/grill goes on overnight trips to the Lochsa car camping, overnights in the dory, overnights in the 13' boat, etc.

It gets unloaded into my drybox with a bigger perc, bigger DO's, bigger skillet, more plates for multidays.

Stuff in the kitchen only need be sufficient to make the meals at hand. If everyone is doing brats and beans you don't need much but a pot, a big spoon and a can opener for THAT trip.

if I am bringing the kitchen (my last choice of group gear to bring) I list all the basic items on the trip spreadsheet and let people know if someone needs something special they can add it and ill throw it in, or they bring it themselves. No reason to clean more stuff when I get home than needed.

This is great advice.

THIS "make the kitchen box non hernia inducing"

Too many trips where the freakin' kitchen box dictated choice of camps because it was so damn heavy!

Protip: if you're doing raft support for kayakers, DO NOT let them bring cooking implements. Somehow on an early MFS trip in 2015 we ended up with 2 griddles and 4 sizes of cast iron skillets!!
Fuck, that box was heavy!

#6 ·
Coffee press (Amazon), shaker cup and mudler..... Though I do have to say the best thing I have bought for my kitchen is a stainless griddle that was the exact size of my stove.... I run a camp chef that is one off of the partner two burner (mountaineer?? can't remember but all aluminum). Nice for warming breakfast burritos, nice for cooking, just nice! And they nest. then its as above.... I have a nesting pot set and a cast DO12", and the utensils from my first marriage! :rolleyes: I like to cook so I tailored around that..... Find your Zen.

#7 ·
-random mismatched shite that ended up there
...knives from my first marriage
...help me out!
Typically I like to take utensils, you know, so people have things to eat with. We stock up at the thrift store. Any other upgrades - go to the thrift store - we created a full mismatched cook set that coincidentally stacks perfectly for like 15 bucks. Our river kitchen is nicer than our home kitchen (I often have to return things to the garage that my first [and only] wife brings into the house).

I went the route of getting the cheapo plastic reusable picnic plates and bowls at Wally-World, they are like 2 bucks for 8 so I have 32 of them. They take up barely more space than disposable dishes, weigh nothing, and I don't care if they break or disappear.

As Zach said, make the kitchen box non hernia inducing and have backup. The easiest way I do this is to have things split into multiple containers: essentials, elaborate cookware, dish washing, and eating implements. That also makes it easier to take stuff out I won't need before a trip.

And don't forget the collapsable jacks plastic bucket. These are endlessly useful. I get one for all my friends' as birthday, wedding, or divorce presents.

The easiest way to decide whether to drain or not is... just don't put ice in your cooler. And I use pin and clips on my Cobras.

#8 · (Edited)
One more thing to add:
Laminated detailed instructions on how to make coffee. Seriously. I know a lot of people have their own system and I have found out the hard way that there are actually people that don't drink coffee. Yeah, I know, crazy.

Lets just say a very long day in a boat with a caffeine deprived barista wife on Deso led to a coffee prep tutorial.

For people in FoCo, I have accumulated too many percolators if anyone wants one. I'll even teach you how to use it.

And another thing to add: if you are replacing cast iron skillets, check out the carbon steel ones, they ahve the same cooking properties and are lighter and cheaper.

#9 ·
THIS "make the kitchen box non hernia inducing"

Too many trips where the freakin' kitchen box dictated choice of camps because it was so damn heavy! Thankfully my group has got a bit smarter and we put it on a diet so now it's only a small bear to haul to the choice spot.

#10 ·
I use an NRS canyon box for the main kitchen. Holding utensils, silverware, plates, cutting boards, dish needs, GSI pots and pans etc. This box I am capable of carrying by myself up to any kitchen, it probably weights maybe 35lbs loaded.

I separate the stoves and griddle, blaster pot, blaster and dutch ovens into an equipment box that never leaves the boat. That way you pull what you need for heavy metal items and the necessities are always in the KB in the kitchen. This box normally goes up front in my boat and provides forward weight and is covered by my table, which works well because I don't need access to anything in here during the day.

#11 ·
I have the good fortune of having a friend with a kitchen box packed so tight that only his wife is able to re-pack it in the morning (that almost doesn't sound right) and so he gets an immediate invite on any trip. His kitchen box is a large drybox. I wind up hauling stove, gas, blaster, and DOs if we need them. I also carry a 14" GSI Bugaboo frypan with detachable handle. This fits in my drybox. It gets used a lot, especially for breakfasts. We also paste groover and kitchen duty assignments to the inside of the kitchen box lid.

#13 ·
I run my setup alot like River Wild. Plates, utensils, pots and pans/griddle and dish wash station all fit nicely in my NRS Canyon box and it can still be managed by one person...imagine that! Dutch ovens are packed seperately in a semi dry-box..it really makes a difference for saving space.
Nothing against cast iron, but I did away with it a long time ago. Its heavy and most people don't clean it correctly or will scratch up the seasoning. Anodized aluminum and teflon are my friends.
Got this idea from Cleve...best Dutch Oven box ever! Will hold your GSI 12 and 10 ovens perfectly and still somewhat water proof
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-ACR8-72-Crate-Utility-Large/dp/B00T4XL4HM

#14 ·
My Kitchen for 16 - 25 people

Kitchen Box - Standard aluminum box the width of 3 20mm cans.

Kitchen Gear
2@ 12X18" Roasting pans, used for cooking everything except soups or stews. Sheets pans for lids
3 gal pot, 2 gal pot
bowls, bowls, bowls

Kitchen tools

Kitchen box also holds my 4 dishpans but I store all of my chemicals in a separate hand-wash box.

#15 ·
Most of the trips I do are just me and the old lady, so we've cut way down on what we bring, and would like to get even more Spartan.

I use a 40" x 16" x 16" dry box and fit the following in it with out too much trouble:

1. Square milk crate for dry foods and staple items, cutting board.

2. Coleman classic propane stove (chose this because it's so thin, very fuel efficient, and has plenty of burner space).

3. 5 lbs propane tank and hose, stove stem.

4. 10" aluminum DO, which doubles for boiling pasta, frying, making popcorn, etc. I found a nice cloth padded case for it made by camp chef or GSI can't remember which.

5. Utensil roll with cooking and eating utensils (channel locks, tongs, chef's knife, peeler, can opener, spatula, pot scraper, etc).

6. Small Magma sauce pan with removable handle, fits in DO bag.

7. Mesh bag with enamel plates, packs on top of DO bag.

8. Plastic bowls (packs inside sauce pan, inside DO), plastic cocktail glasses and wine glasses.

9. Jetboil and coffee cups - used for coffee with starbucks Via's (I got tired of cleaning out messy percolators and presses. Plus, it's the fastest way to get coffee in the morning, and I need it pretty fast).

10. Boxed wine.

11. Hard liquor (usually packed in Nalgenes).

12. collapsible buckets (2) for washing dishes, soap and scrubber, strainer.

13. Tri-folding shovel, mine axe.

We're getting more and more into doing pre-made meals. We usually have one or two ready to go in the cooler in foil DO liners. No prep and very easy clean up.

#17 ·
5. Utensil roll with cooking and eating utensils (channel locks, tongs, chef's knife, peeler, can opener, spatula, pot scraper, etc).
Thanks for the details. I just realized I need to add channel locks and a pot scraper to my own roll.

11. Hard liquor (usually packed in Nalgenes).
I'll often simplify to 1-2 flavors and bring 1.75l handles...which are more often plastic.

Protip #2: Just don't do raft support for kayakers. I've hauled gear for so many dud kayakers over the years that seemed to feel exempt from performing any camp chores. They can come along and self-support, but I'm not hauling their gear or booze or turds, and they are on permanent dishwashing duty.
:eek::eek::eek:
I just posted about this MF trip in another thread. I was one of the kayakers. Brought my raft and full rig and another guy rowed it. I paddled his WS-Z kayak 80% of the river. He wasn't big into kayaking, but wanted to try it...so I ran the top and the bottom. He kayaked the section through Indian and I rowed..and found out just how much load he was pushing through Pistol!

The other 3 kayakers were awesome about cooking, dishes, camp setup, helping rig, etc. As a kayaker, I have a pretty good eye for whom I'd invite and whom I would not!

#18 ·
There are good Kayakers and bad Kayakers, same for boaters, I won't say I wouldn't bring one or 2 along like MT4runner, but as a general thing I prefer to bring round boaters or Dorymen as opposed to catboaters or kayakers simply as they can carry a load.

On the kitchen box thing, lord you folks bring a LOT of stuff. I'm in Zach's corner, I bring what I need to cook what we have. On a 28 day grand trip for 6 last year, we took a Partner 2 burner, woodland stove, Partner aluminum DO with a lid that doubles as a griddle, a medium size pot, dishes, bowls and french press. Cooked everything with that, weighed little, and was cleaned and stowed easily.

#20 ·
I prefer to bring round boaters or Dorymen as opposed to catboaters or kayakers simply as they can carry a load.

On the kitchen box thing, lord you folks bring a LOT of stuff.
So...if you like tripmates who can haul a lot of stuff, but like a small kitchen, you must pack a LOT of beer!! :p

The less you take the less you clean the less you mess in camps.
This is good advice.

Not everybody is good at one-pot meals, but there's an elegance to easy dishes and having time to enjoy time eating and socializing and not prepping/cooking/cleaning.

#19 ·
Cook meals at home, vacuum seal, only take 16 or 18 inch cast iron skillet and large flat top with blaster. I don't even use my partner stove much anymore. Utensils are paired down to metal slotted spoon, spatula, solid wooden spoon, and personal tableware. The less you take the less you clean the less you mess in camps.

#21 ·
I agree with Buffalo.

It is so much easier to prepare food in a real kitchen with running water. I prefer to spend my time on the river not cooking, so why not take care of that beforehand?

One of the best things I've found so far in my short tenure doing overnights is a vacuum sealer. It allows you to precook or repackage food while you're at home, freeze it and not worry if it swims in the cooler. The vac bags end up fairly flat and rectangular making them pack very efficiently. This also eliminates much of the packaging food comes in so you arent hauling out cans, boxes, bags etc.

#22 ·
One of the best things I've found so far in my short tenure doing overnights is a vacuum sealer. It allows you to precook or repackage food while you're at home, freeze it and not worry if it swims in the cooler.
Even better, if you're cooking for a small crew, put your leftovers in a vacuum bag and toss them in the freezer. Super easy to have some small easy meals to grab and go. Zero prep.

Scale that up only slightly by doubling the recipe for a big meal at home. Vacuum bag the 2nd servings.

Precook bacon about 3/4 done on the stove or IN THE OVEN! Vacuum bag it. When it's time for a hot breakfast, pull it out and give it a quick fry to heat and crisp it up. Not enough grease to even drain--or deal with. Quick wipe with a paper towel, cool the griddle off, and load up the kitchen.

A vacuum bagger is awesome. The next step is a sous-vide. Vacuum seal the raw ingredients and then SV them. Cold water and/or ice bath to precool and toss it right in the freezer. When you're camping, pull that cooked steak out, thaw it, 30sec on each side on a HOT skillet and eat.

You can make perfectly cooked chicken. Quick batter and quick fry. No waiting/worrying for it to lose the blood/pink in the center.

Pulled pork or brisket? Already cooked and ready to shred. Just give it a quick crisp on the fire pit.

The vac bags end up fairly flat and rectangular making them pack very efficiently. This also eliminates much of the packaging food comes in so you arent hauling out cans, boxes, bags etc.
Amen. You can also throw that vacuum bagged evening meal in your day cooler in the morning so it's chilling your beers while it's thawing.

#36 ·
cherry smoked 24hr SV ribs and 24hr SV beef brisket (2hr smoke, 24hr sv, ice bath, freeze)

Thaw on the river in my day cooler.
Final crisp over mesquite my friend brought. Nom.

Got rave reviews. I can tell this will join my regular rotation. Too bad I won't always have mesquite...will have to bring a few sticks of cherry or maple when I'm finishing barbecue on the river.

I agree a sharp knife, is a safe knife. Cutting items like onions, carrots, potatoes, apple, etc. that tend to slip around, makes the job easier and safer. A good knife sharpener is a great idea also for keeping steak knives, river rescue knife and axe's sharp. A dull ax will glance off a piece of wood and maybe into a foot or leg and a dull rescue knife is a useless item. Remember Safety first.
Is that a smoke detector on your Coleman stove?

Classic!

Attachments

#25 ·
The only thing I really have to add is a good set of sharp kitchen knives. Growing up, the camping knives were the ones that wore out in the kitchen, so they were off to the camp box. They were dull and worthless. I have found some really nice and really cheap knives at sierra.com. I like the ones with the sheath, and my camp kitchen has a small paring knife and a small serrated one, both very sharp. They make quick work of cutting duties.

Knives are cheap enough that you don't have to use dull ones.

#27 ·
The only thing I really have to add is a good set of sharp kitchen knives. Growing up, the camping knives were the ones that wore out in the kitchen, so they were off to the camp box. They were dull and worthless. I have found some really nice and really cheap knives at sierra.com. I like the ones with the sheath, and my camp kitchen has a small paring knife and a small serrated one, both very sharp. They make quick work of cutting duties.

Knives are cheap enough that you don't have to use dull ones.

I agree, Sam's club has restaraunt quality knives for cheap. I take a small sharpener for when they do lose their edge.

#30 ·
that does look interesting...I like the nesting features...I have a cast iron skillet that just has two "ears" instead of a handle, and it does pack up beautifully.

Keep those suggestions and the snark flowing, everybody. We need to stay busy with something and food talk is as good as anything else.

#31 ·
After reading this thread I remember getting e-crucified on here years ago for expressing my hatred for everyone's heavy ass cast iron that somehow everyone has bonded with. Thank you everyone for evolving. I hate cleaning cast iron, and most of all I hate carrying it. Mt4runner I did like your knife suggestion. You nailed it. My old doll cheap knifes are in my kitchen box. Why not some new sharp cheap knifes.

#32 ·
We usually run 12 to 16
Replaced cast iron w 2 square deep copper nonstick casserole pans~teflon sucks doesnt last, 4 yrs no scratches on copper- no long handles pack better also work -as frying pans in am bake pies or crips at night

2 Vintage galvanized stock pots nested
( dishes, bowls fit inside casseroles or stockpot, cups in the other)
cook and clean double duty
Utensils, mesh drybags, towels pamper chef can opener-lifts lid no sharp edges

2 large coffee pots and one press- espresso, cocoa or tea lovers covered

The first group is divided between 2 large square softside coolers , easy lifting packed on separate boats ...just in case.

Separate coffee bag with beans and cocoa for quick access after a rough nite if adult beverages

Insulated steel growlers n water bottles for milk n cream lasts five days in cooler

Light n efficient

#33 ·
Sharp knives are key. I picked up a victronox/fibrox chefs knife that is rugged as heck, and very well reviewed by cooks country. I also picked up a furi diamond fingers collapsible sharpener too https://www.amazon.com/Furi-FUR626-Ozitech-Diamond-Sharpener/dp/B000F8SIOW
and it is not as good as a stone, but it does get a knife stupid sharp quick in the field. Few things are worse ina kitchen than a dull knife. Maybe lack of pepper? No can opener?

#34 ·
kitchen essentials.

I agree a sharp knife, is a safe knife. Cutting items like onions, carrots, potatoes, apple, etc. that tend to slip around, makes the job easier and safer. A good knife sharpener is a great idea also for keeping steak knives, river rescue knife and axe's sharp. A dull ax will glance off a piece of wood and maybe into a foot or leg and a dull rescue knife is a useless item. Remember Safety first.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.