Kitchen box vs. dry box - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-15-2016   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Kitchen box vs. dry box

I am on the fence between buying a kitchen box vs a dry box and I've still got questions after searching around other threads.

Are there other big advantages to a kitchen box over a dry box (containing kitchen items) beyond having a raised workspace for cooking/not needing another table?

Would folks who have kitchen boxes shell out the extra $$$ for a kitchen box over a dry box if you had to do it over again?

When folks use their kitchen boxes, do you put the stove on the top of the box when set up, or on the folded-out lid?

Anyone know how high the lid sits when set up on the Eddy Out Kitchen Box? How about the height of the top of the box on the Eddy Out?

Thanks!

spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I choose a regular dry box for two reasons, mine has to be multi use so I'd rather not turn it 90 degree to stand it up. Also you loose some internal volume with the tubes for the legs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a kitchen dry box from frontier play, but I've taken the legs out and removed the tray. I've only used it as it was designed a couple of times. I found it to just be a problem; stuff wouldn't be packed well or overpacked and therefore would have to be carefully arranged before opening on it's side. We really only used the top surface as a shelf.

I'll be replacing it with a regular box as soon as it makes sense.

Not sure if you had something else in mind, but if you are looking for something to act as both, this would do it, but personally I'd just go dry box.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My group uses a kitchen box on every trip and we love it. All our kitchen stuff is organized and the lid is a great prep area. Partner stove goes on a stove stand. One counter height additional table rounds out our kitchen. Top of the box is a catch-all spot for misc. stuff. Coffee pot & coffee mugs seem to end up there most of the time. My buddy who owns the kitchen box packs it up in the morning when we leave camp while the rest of us pack up the remainder of the kitchen. He has a system and everything has a designated place in the box.
Old 06-15-2016   #5

Post Falls, Idaho
If running in a group kitchen box makes sense, I'm more self contained and don't have a certain group that I float with.

Old 06-15-2016   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
I'm with cataraftgirl. Kitchen box is the way to go. I have to give my wife the credit for organizing ours. Whether it just the two of us on a Main trip or a 16 person GC trip, it's the bomb. We used a fronteirplay kitchen box for about 6 years and then had a larger one custom one made for us as part of our new frame last year. With the legs, everything is accessible and very convenient. We never used the tray that came the the FP box. We use river tables for the stove. We can mix it up depending on group size.

We think it also gets us invited on other folks permits..........Actually, it's my wife and her planning and organisational skills that gets us invited, but I get tag along.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
If running in a group kitchen box makes sense, I'm more self contained and don't have a certain group that I float with.

Rafting with a core group does help, since you get very familiar with the kitchen box and where stuff is. The leg slots do take up a little room, but the usefulness outweighs that for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
I'm with cataraftgirl. Kitchen box is the way to go. I have to give my wife the credit for organizing ours. Whether it just the two of us on a Main trip or a 16 person GC trip, it's the bomb. We used a fronteirplay kitchen box for about 6 years and then had a larger one custom one made for us as part of our new frame last year. With the legs, everything is accessible and very convenient. We never used the tray that came the the FP box. We use river tables for the stove. We can mix it up depending on group size.

We think it also gets us invited on other folks permits..........Actually, it's my wife and her planning and organisational skills that gets us invited, but I get tag along.
That happens to my friend a lot also. He gets asked to provide the kitchen on other people's trips. I was just on a weekend trip with a group who used a regular dry box for the kitchen and that reinforced by love for our kitchen box.

I suppose it depends a lot on whether you raft with the same folks regularly or not. If your dry box space is at a premium, then maybe a kitchen box wouldn't make as much sense. We generally have 8-10 people & 4 rafts/cats, so having a kitchen box as one of our 8 dry boxes is a luxury we can afford.
Old 06-15-2016   #8

Post Falls, Idaho
Perfect world one of each!

Old 06-16-2016   #9

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
LOL. Yup.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
So I'm hearing prep space, organization, and misc. counter space for the kitchen box.

For organization, does the raised platform w/legs make is easier or better for organization + access than a traditional drybox that would be accessed from the top?
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote