Kitchen Box Designs - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-07-2015   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Kitchen Box Designs

Having a Kitchen Box built for my 16' Sotar. Looking for any brilliant designs for how to do some dividers for compartments.

Any great designs out there with pictures?

Salidaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015   #2
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Start buy acquiring the best equipment to fill your box for instance last season I had Partner Steel make me two griddles with no handles. They take up much less space without the handles.

This year I spent $ 160.00 on 20 GSI Outdoors Pioneer Blue Enamelware Deep Plates that nest together perfectly. Buy some large cutting boards and cut them so that they fit perfectly in side the box. As you settle on the best equipment inside the box it will become clear how to organize it all.
Old 03-07-2015   #3

Clarno, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
There is a pic on a thread somewhere on here. They built a custom dry box and partner stove made a custom built in stove.
Imagine a normal kitchen box on its legs and the "top" folded down and open for a work surface. But the top or "true side" of the box lifts open to revile a built in partner stove and the lid is now the windscreen. It was sick looking and maybe pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Willc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I would not put compartments in your kitchen box. What you pack will have a habit of changing in size and description. I love the legs on my box but other than that I just want a box. I use Rubbermaid and Tupperware to help organize my kitchen box (Salvation Army and ARC stores can save you a ton of $).
Old 03-07-2015   #5
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
I have a Frontier Play box and it has been an excellent deal for the money but some day I'm going to have a Mad Cow built to my specs. I love the way the legs don't require tubes inside the box. I like the .100 gauge aluminum. But for now I still using the Frontier and I'm having a great time on the water and in camp.

These things have to evolve. You can't know what you want until you use what you have.
Old 03-07-2015   #6
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
The box design you are referring to is The Mogur's. Keep in mind that this guy used to own his own rafting company. He came up with his ultimate design after years of experience and enough money to have Partner Steel build this box to his specifications and in the end it is his ultimate box and your dream may be different. It is an impressive piece of engineering and you should search out the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willc View Post
There is a pic on a thread somewhere on here. They built a custom dry box and partner stove made a custom built in stove.
Imagine a normal kitchen box on its legs and the "top" folded down and open for a work surface. But the top or "true side" of the box lifts open to revile a built in partner stove and the lid is now the windscreen. It was sick looking and maybe pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 03-07-2015   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The kitchen box in our group has shelves on one side and a larger open compartment on the other. It works great. It's all organized and we can find what we need easily. My friend who owns the box likes to pack it when we break camp, since he has a particular way he likes things to go into the box. That works well for us. We finish up with all the kitchen stuff in the morning and go about packing other stuff while he gets the box ready. He has a large and a smaller kitchen box and both have the same shelf set-ups. If I were to build my own, I'd do something like his.
Old 03-08-2015   #8

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
The box design you are referring to is The Mogur's. Keep in mind that this guy used to own his own rafting company. He came up with his ultimate design after years of experience and enough money to have Partner Steel build this box to his specifications and in the end it is his ultimate box and your dream may be different. It is an impressive piece of engineering and you should search out the pictures.
Always enjoy comments on SuperStove. Here's the thread:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...box-47097.html
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #9

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
We've had a Frontier Play kitchen box for 6 years. We don't use any dividers or shelves because the content changes depending on how large the group is. It's going to have a very different set-up on a GC trip compared to a solo Main trip w/ just the two of us or a 10 person MF trip.
Sometimes the PS stove will go in the kitchen box along with plastic wash bins. Other times, it's all pots, pans, and utensils. We use a 22'' x 12'' x 10'' box in the oarsman foot well for spices, oils, misc lunch cutting board, knives, and things that we need quick access to during the day.

My wife is the only one that can Tetris it all together in the morning.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote