Kids rafting gear tips? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-01-2013   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02'
Kids rafting gear tips?

Have a 3-day RHT trip with my one year old coming up. We have done a previous trip with him when he was 6 months which went great. Kept him in a little pup tent on the pacos or in a car seat under the shade and he slept most of the time during the day. At night, used same pup tent within our tent and it acted like a bassinette. Now that he is older, I don't think we'll be as lucky, since he is a very mobile child. Any suggestions from veteran parents on day rigging for a one year old? Bring the pack n play for sleeping? Any tips and experiences shared would be appreciated!

UofARy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I didn't start my boy until he was 5, so I can't offer much from experience. I would say make sure you have shade for the little one
Old 05-01-2013   #3

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
3 days??? You are very brave.

Shade, sunscreen, and lots of toys are what come to mind.

Best of luck, and please report back how it went!
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I started mine a 4. I have been out on the river with 2 year olds. I noticed quite a bit of respect (or fear) of the water while on the boat. I would recommend one person "assigned" to the kid at ALL times. On the water is easy because the space is confined. Setting up camp, cooking, breaking down camp, BSing is when the problems happen. When my son was 3 we camped in Yosemite with a bunch of friends. The little bugger slipped away and we spend 20 minutes searching camp for him. He was play just out of sight by the creak and had no clue.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #5
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofARy View Post
Have a 3-day RHT trip with my one year old coming up. We have done a previous trip with him when he was 6 months which went great. Kept him in a little pup tent on the pacos or in a car seat under the shade and he slept most of the time during the day. At night, used same pup tent within our tent and it acted like a bassinette. Now that he is older, I don't think we'll be as lucky, since he is a very mobile child. Any suggestions from veteran parents on day rigging for a one year old? Bring the pack n play for sleeping? Any tips and experiences shared would be appreciated!
Sounds like you could offer all of us more tips. the big thing I think would be entertainment for the little one, I started my boy when he was 3. (the big thing with him was keeping him entertained)
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #6
don't bogart that

Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Nice job

My kids have been boat camping from six months on and there is always a challenge at that age. I have used a easy-up as a play/shade structure and safe zone for the little guys. Get all the toys and make a safe zone where they can remove the life jacket and play in the sand, sleep in little sand nests, eat sand, and of course, poop sand. They are so fast at that age and can get out of sight quickly, scarey. Make a safe swimming area for you and the kids and let them know that boundaries. Oh yea, Time Out area is always best preplanned due to you don't need the tantrum going on in the kitchen while you are trying to make dinner. Plan your camp to look the same each time you set it up so you do not have to redo boundaries each time. Some trips will be better than others but in the end you will appreciate them sleeping while you sip a drink by the fire.
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #7
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Dont sweat it too much. He'll probably have more fun than anybody else on the trip. Mine did and still do.
I find they are pretty self entertained at camp. It's on the boat where they get bored.
I tried to start them young but not force it too much. Worked for us.
Old 05-01-2013   #8

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Just went dry land camping with our 18mo boy. Pack and play in the tent works good. I'm going to get the wife and boy out on the river more this summer. I'm on the Yellowstone so if foul weather or wind pop up we can bail. Let us know how it goes.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #9

Lyons, Colorado
Pack n' Play for sure... use it when somebody cannot be dedicated to keeping an eye on him. I started my boy at ~6 mo's in a drift boat on the Green below FG, and we havent' stopped since. Sold the Hyde. Bought a 14 ft raft. Had another kid. Sold the 14 ft raft. Bought a 16 ft raft. Kids need far less on the river than parents think... dirt, rocks, sticks and the occasional lizard to chase. Pretty much heaven on earth for a kid. Water's really low on RHT right now, so that makes things a bit better perhaps.
We always set very clear rules with all the older kids about lifejackets ANY time they're near the water. We also make boudaries with throw ropes to keep them in check.
Have fun... your one year old certainly will!
dan_giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
We started my oldest on a daytrip at 18mo. Missed naptime due to a late start and we weren't rigged for a nap spot.

Started again at age 3 and we haven't looked back. Still her and her sister's #1 activity going on 8 years now.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting