Jet Boil or Partner cook stove? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-28-2017   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Jet Boil or Partner cook stove?

It's time to move on from my old Coleman camp stove.
I've been looking at

Partner folding 2 burner, 9" cook stove

Jet boil Genesis Base Camp system

Reliability and durability are my two key points as well as ease of use.

I'd like to hear pros and cons.

Thanks!

drgchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017   #2

Salida, Colorado
I don't know the jetboil product, but have the folding partner. We use it for car-camping as well. Simple design, river-tested, sand/dust resistant, bomber and effective are the reasons I like the partner. After-trip cleanup with a pressure washer. Hard to imagine the jetboil could compete with those features.
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by denachuck View Post
I don't know the jetboil product, but have the folding partner. We use it for car-camping as well. Simple design, river-tested, sand/dust resistant, bomber and effective are the reasons I like the partner. After-trip cleanup with a pressure washer. Hard to imagine the jetboil could compete with those features.

These reasons and:
  1. almost all parts are field replaceable, get the repair kit and you don't ever have to fear a breakdown.
  2. Tough as nails. Haven't ever held one of the jetboil units, but can it take being dropped on river rocks? Can it fire right up when soaking wet?
  3. Ability to use any pot or pan. large pots would probably be a challenge on the small round burners of the jetboil.
  4. Ability to hook to full size propane tanks, looks like the jetboil is limited to 1 lb. bottles.
  5. Price. You can't say this very often, but the Partner stove is cheaper by approx. $100, at least on the REI page.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Another vote for Partner Stove. River strong. If you are getting the 9 inch two burner, make sure to get the model with the separating hinge. You can separate your two burners and spread them out to use bigger pots. I did have the two burner partner with the built in wind screen. I didn't like that one and sold it.

I have seen a few brand new regular jet boils fail on kayak touring trips. The Genesis is a new, and untested model.
Old 08-28-2017   #5

Bend, Oregon
I know it's heresey to say anything negative about Partner Stoves, but after using the 4 burner with the breakapart hinge on several recent trips, I am not a huge fan. I love the rugged durability and field service part, and like the flexibility afforded by the breakapart, but I'm not interested in owning one myself for the following reasons:

1. The burners are weak - only 8,000 btu, so it takes forever to boil water.
2. The burners are tiny - one little hot spot that will burn things if you don't move the pan around
3. The adjustment for the burner goes from off to full blast in about 1/4 turn of the adjustment knob. It is difficult to get the right level of simmer without turning off the burner by mistake.

They are a great product by a great local (Idaho) company, but those are pretty glaring weaknesses in the design, IMHO.

I have a Camp Chef ATS-50 that I've been using for 10 years or so. While the case is weak sauce compared to the Partner, it has 20k btu burners that are much larger in circumference and that have a ton of adjustment. They don't make that particular model any more, but the burner set can be found in several similar models they still produce, including this new beauty that looks like it might be my next stove:

https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves...num-stove.html

Flame away, I just prefer Camp Chef's function.
Old 08-28-2017   #6

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
No contest, partner
Old 08-28-2017   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Never used my blaster on the Grand this month. The Partner had plenty of BTUs. On a winter trip we might use the Blaster. Bottom line: buy both. Life isn't that short.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Jetboil was there too but only made a few cups of coffee very early.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
I know it's heresey to say anything negative about Partner Stoves, but after using the 4 burner with the breakapart hinge on several recent trips, I am not a huge fan. I love the rugged durability and field service part, and like the flexibility afforded by the breakapart, but I'm not interested in owning one myself for the following reasons:

1. The burners are weak - only 8,000 btu, so it takes forever to boil water.
2. The burners are tiny - one little hot spot that will burn things if you don't move the pan around
3. The adjustment for the burner goes from off to full blast in about 1/4 turn of the adjustment knob. It is difficult to get the right level of simmer without turning off the burner by mistake.

They are a great product by a great local (Idaho) company, but those are pretty glaring weaknesses in the design, IMHO.

I have a Camp Chef ATS-50 that I've been using for 10 years or so. While the case is weak sauce compared to the Partner, it has 20k btu burners that are much larger in circumference and that have a ton of adjustment. They don't make that particular model any more, but the burner set can be found in several similar models they still produce, including this new beauty that looks like it might be my next stove:

https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves...num-stove.html

Flame away, I just prefer Camp Chef's function.

I still have the Camp Chef aluminum two burner stove I bought almost 20 years ago. Great stove. Btu I think is 20-25k?

I ended up buying a Partner 2 burner that was in sale last year. Love that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #10

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
2 burner partner with detachable hinge for the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote