Is White the best color? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Unread 02-04-2019   #21

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Yellow is another less heat prone color, as well. I picked up a yellow Hyside last season and itís kinda been impressive how much cooler the tubes stay vs. previous raft colors of ol blue and darker gray ass burners.

Only weird thing with yellow is when rigging on a bright day, before all that yellow gets buried under gear, frame, coolers and people is that when I look away from the boat everything has a green tint until my eyes readjust. Other than that, I like it.
+1 for yellow if you are considering that. I have a blue boat also and notice the blue definitely gets warmer than the yellow. I have no comparison to white, but in case you didn't love white, yellow is definitely an option.

denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2019   #22

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
My boat is "white." It looks more like a very light grey. That might just be dirt and age since it's 19 years old.

It definitely stayed cooler than some darker colored boats.

I almost called it "White Side Up," but feared that it might be misunderstood. With the yellow rub strake, it kind of looks like a bee, so she's now Black Pearl Honeybee. If I have to replace the rubber, I'll probably stick with white.

Does it get dirty? Holy crap yes. I have used a bristle brush with inflatable boat cleaner, and it gets some of the zinc off from my frame. I haven't tried the magic eraser yet; maybe this spring when she gets her next bath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black bar.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	32981  
Will Amette is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2019   #23

Athens, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2000
I have two Paco pads, one gray and one yellow. First time I used them, I assumed the gray would be the cooler of the two colors, because it seemed lighter to my eye. Turned out that the gray one gets painfully hot in the sun when used as a seat. The yellow one barely gets warm. Wish I'd bought white.
ohioboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2019   #24

Kalispell, Montana
I understand that yellow may be attractive to flying insects but have a yellow 15.5'er and don't notice it too much.

My gray paco pad is warmer than my yellow boat. Most of my boating is in northern climates, so the gray feels good to sit on. Maybe I need to add a yellow or white pad for southern trips? haha
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019   #25

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Amette View Post
I haven't tried the magic eraser yet; maybe this spring when she gets her next bath.
Magic eraser did wonders for cleaning up my white NRS 132-d before putting it away this fall. Sun glare is a real issue especially after a fresh coat of 303.
blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Day Ago   #26

I cleaned the boat today after a lower Owyhee trip a couple weeks ago. It was FILTHY. Four Rogue trips last year didn't help either. I pulled her back in the carport to fully dry so I can do the 303 tomorrow.

Lots of elbow grease, some inflatable boat cleaner, and a scrub pad took a lot of the grime off. I picked up an 8-pack of Magic Erasers this week to try them out. I went through almost all of them. Shredded the first one pretty quickly and switched to another way to scrub with the boat cleaner first, top and bottom, and then cleaned the top with the Magic Erasers. We use Magic Erasers to clean acrylic at the aquarium since it doesn't scratch. But the hypalon really shredded 'em quickly. I had got done, started putting things away, and found some more filthy spots. I'm sure I'll keep finding them, but it did seem to really get deeper than just the scrub brush.

The Owyhee trip was the first time I wanted a darker color. A couple 24 degree mornings and a couple mroe 27 degree mornings plus not that warm days.... I put my hands on a dark blue boat and some point and enjoyed the warmth. But for the most part, I like the light color. Looks kind of more gray than white, but NRS calls it white. Looks kind of like a bumblebee, and that may be her new name.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shadow.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	34903  
Unread 23 Hours Ago   #27

Golden, Colorado
so all i wanna know is what the fuck is up with that duck???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31376BFE-ACE0-42F7-9712-1178CE5FE75A.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	34909  
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Hours Ago   #28

Ha! Thanks for noticing. Her name is Shadow. She follows me everywhere!

Last July on one of our Rogue trips, we had camped at Tyee. In the morning as we approached Wildcat camp, another duck swam up to my boat and followed Shadow for a while. I got some of it on video (1:25 if the link doesn't point appropriately). Enjoy!

I was amused to see that the picture Courtney took at Montgomery on the Lower Owyhee a couple weeks ago had Shadow in the picture. I cropped it up so you can see her. Thanks again for noticing. You win the prize!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0733.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	694.9 KB
ID:	34915  
Unread 6 Hours Ago   #29

Bumblebee is clean now. Definitely looks much nicer. I think Shadow looks happier too.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clean may 2019.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	34931   Click image for larger version

Name:	clean with shadow may 2019.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	34933  

Unread 2 Hours Ago   #30

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
First off white boats are lame, they look lame in pictures and they are just plain boring. That being said I own one, I also have a multicolored boat and I use to have a blue boat. If how hot you tubes get is the main concern consider yourself lucky. First thing, Im hardly ever hot while rafting in Colorado. Second Im not sitting on or touching the tubes much if Im rowing so it doesn't matter. Third, If I'm paddling than bring on the heat, bc that water is barley above freezing most of the time. And finally they are a pain to keep clean, always look dirty. I can't think of any reason to get a white anything for the river. Be bright in colors in everything you own and your pictures will always look better, people can see you easily, in an emergency its better and every other situation its just plain better to be colorful and bright.
Treswright3 is online now   Reply With Quote