Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
yes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019   #12

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Zbaird said it.... Yes. That said...you shouldn't buy so I feel more special with my white boats.

I bought a white Aire 136DD in 2017 and it made me basically decide that I'll only do White boats from now on. It stays way cooler on hot days, you don't see many white boats so it sticks out, and I just totally dig em. Yes, they do appear dirtier and every little stain sticks out...but its still worth it to me.

Since I got the 136DD I've purchased a white Hyside Mini-Max and will be taking delivery on my white 146DD in the next few days.

Just for some perspective, the Aire boats have grey chafe pads, and on a hot sunny day... it feels like a 20 degree difference in temperature. I've never put a thermometer on it to check...but its very stark. The white material stays basically cold to the touch and the grey material is warm to hot depending on the day.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019   #13

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
I must say that topic header made my eyes open wide for a sec
Yeah, who understands those rich people and their white parties, anyway?!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019   #14

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
I boated with some folks recently and two of them had white boats. They were not very good river people, burning trash and plastic and showing little respect for the Canyon and others who use it. I can't say it was because they had white boats.......

So the only good advice I have heard on colors of gear is to get something that won't blend in with the color of the water in case you lose it. A swift water rescue instructor pointed this out right after I got my new Blue dry suit. He said that red or yellow would be easier to find if I was floating unconscious in the river.
flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019   #15

Other considerations

Ordered white material last year for the 156 R forever raft family hauler. Cooler tubes will hopefully keep kiddos happy and stoked to boat. Also keeps the riverside couch in play when were pulled over for the day. Im fine with some stains, just stories to remember.
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019   #16
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
when I look away from the boat everything has a green tint

According to science you should be seeing Blue
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2019   #17

Golden, Colorado
Bwahahaha! Fuck you and your science!

And, dang, since the pocket protectors are out now...according to science, in the real world, I should be seeing purple PBR cans at the put in.

Good news is that raft will be burning out my retinas again here soon in a couple weeks so I can perhaps give two shits about what new colors I am seeing at the launch and report back to the breathlessly waiting buzz masses.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019   #18

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Have a gray, 18' Aire cat, almost 20 years old, surface stays comfortable in the intense sun. I look at all the scrapes, discolorations, etc. and fondly remember each trip by those marks!
Also have a 14' Saturn raft (yes, I have, use and like it!), medium blue...had it both on Deso this past June and had no problem keeping either cool with river "wash".
Old 02-02-2019   #19

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
Very easy to clean a white boat with a bit of magic eraser. Don't overdo it, just an easy pass with some diluted simple green and a rag, then a bit of touch up with the magic eraser.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019   #20
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Bwahahaha! Fuck you and your science!And, dang, since the pocket protectors are out now...according to science, in the real world, I should be seeing purple PBR cans at the put in.