Is this suspended floor rigged wrong? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-21-2013   #1

Bigfork, Montana
Is this suspended floor rigged wrong?

So this raft came with plywood floor panels that I've rigged up but it still seems a little shakey like I'm doing it wrong. Any input here?

BOR_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013   #2

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
First off. Congrats on the new boat. I was looking at the pics in your other thread and there are D-rings in the corners on the outside of the boat. It looks like the previous owner intended to use all of the holes in the plywood for strapping it in place. There is even a hole lining up with the D ring on the thwart.
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
If you strap it the way you are doing it.....you will rip the holes out of the plywood. What you need is a really long piece of webbing or rope. You feed the rope from a D ring.... down through a corrosponding hole.....run the rope under the ply.....and back up through the next hole. Go up to that corrosponding D ring above the hole......then run the rope back down through the same hole.......under the plywood to the next hole.....up again to the corrosponding D ring and back down again.....and run the rope under the plywood. Do this all the way around the board using all the D rings. The rope is what takes all the support of the wood between the holes.

Trust me....you will ruin your board if you strap it in like you have it shown.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Caverdan is correct, but take it one step further: buy a half dozen large (at least 3/4" or 7/8" diameter hole, which probably means 2" overall diameter) "fender" or flat washers and large (at least 1" diameter) rings from local hardware or nut and bolt supply store. Stainless is wonderful if you can find it, but plain old galvanized works fine as well (will eventually rust, but no big deal to sand and paint 'em first with rattle can). Use 1" tubular polyester (not nylon, it stretches when wet and has poor rot resistance) webbing and thread up through the hole in your floor board, through the washer, around the ring and back down through the washer and hole, continue through holes in a pattern that makes sense to suspend the board from available d-rings (or better, frame members). Hang cam/loop straps with buckles from D-rings or frame, thread the polyester tubing through them and cut (use hot knife or somehow sear ends so they don't ravel) to approximate length so you can adjust the height the floorboard hangs. This way you have adjustment to snug top of floorboard against inside diameter of tube(s), but it looks like your beaver board is not cut generously enough to accomplish this last step - it's going to have some sway in it no matter how you suspend it, but the above technique is river-tested for over 40 years and was the way we all hung our plywood floors "back in the day." (Took awhile to evolve the buckles and adjustment feature, but it's worth doing correctly). The HUGE advantage of this rings and washers technique is not only the adjustability it offers but the fact you can tie gear DOWN to the floor, which is always preferable to tying up to the D-rings or frame pieces (keeps whatever you're tying in from bouncing up and down).
If this isn't clear, PM me and I will take a picture of it on my floorboard. I'm a fan of HDPE over plywood for floorboards, but have run plywood floors for many decades with no issues - you just have to keep 'em smooth and sealed, whether with paint or spar varnish. Good luck!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #5

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4otter View Post
Caverdan is correct, but take it one step further: buy a half dozen large (at least 3/4" or 7/8" diameter hole, which probably means 2" overall diameter) "fender" or flat washers and large (at least 1" diameter) rings from local hardware or nut and bolt supply store. Stainless is wonderful if you can find it, but plain old galvanized works fine as well (will eventually rust, but no big deal to sand and paint 'em first with rattle can). Use 1" tubular polyester (not nylon, it stretches when wet and has poor rot resistance) webbing and thread up through the hole in your floor board, through the washer, around the ring and back down through the washer and hole, continue through holes in a pattern that makes sense to suspend the board from available d-rings (or better, frame members). Hang cam/loop straps with buckles from D-rings or frame, thread the polyester tubing through them and cut (use hot knife or somehow sear ends so they don't ravel) to approximate length so you can adjust the height the floorboard hangs. This way you have adjustment to snug top of floorboard against inside diameter of tube(s), but it looks like your beaver board is not cut generously enough to accomplish this last step - it's going to have some sway in it no matter how you suspend it, but the above technique is river-tested for over 40 years and was the way we all hung our plywood floors "back in the day." (Took awhile to evolve the buckles and adjustment feature, but it's worth doing correctly). The HUGE advantage of this rings and washers technique is not only the adjustability it offers but the fact you can tie gear DOWN to the floor, which is always preferable to tying up to the D-rings or frame pieces (keeps whatever you're tying in from bouncing up and down).
If this isn't clear, PM me and I will take a picture of it on my floorboard. I'm a fan of HDPE over plywood for floorboards, but have run plywood floors for many decades with no issues - you just have to keep 'em smooth and sealed, whether with paint or spar varnish. Good luck!
I don't know about the OP, but I'd love to see a picture. I'm not understanding what protects your tubes from rubbing/chaffing from the beavertail being pulled up under it?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
I'm at home, floorboard is at warehouse but I'll get a picture tomorrow. The edges of the plywood that come in contact with the tubes have a couple layers of gorilla tape on 'em, basically just wrapped the entire edge with gorilla tape two thicknesses thick. I had to cut darts where it went around corners, and used a little barge cement to help adhesion n some places, but it's held up for 4 years with about 50 river days on it so far, and leaves hardly any marks on the tubes (Aire SD Puma, so I'm not as concerned with rubbing as some might be with other construction). You can also pad the edges with ensolite or any thin flexible material, the advantage of having a floor wider than the inside of your tubes is that upside down it will hang up and not fall through. Ask me how I know...
I just ran an aluminum floor down the Grand and on a Cat trip, and again like HDPE (cutting board material, but get the marine UV-protected version used on boats and for docks and steps) way better. The floors I ran were both diamond plate, but you have to run 3/4 or 1 inch tubing underneath for rigidity/structure and they definitely leave black marks on just about any raft material. My frame is diamond plate, but new floor will be HDPE, which also comes in a skid-resistant version for decks and hatch covers. Expensive and heavy but can be worked with woodworking tools and never needs maintenance. You can drill more holes to lose some weight, but have to go to at least 5/8" thickness in HDPE if you are trying to span anything over 12 or so inches (again, ask how I know...). I'm currently running 1/2" in bottoms of drop bags (again, cut a bit longer than the inside width between my tubes) mostly to give shape to the bags and protect floor a bit. These sit directly on the floor both fore and aft and so far - about 20 days using these - absolutely no wear or marks on floor. HDPE comes from several different manufacturers, "MarinaBoard" is one brand name, easy to search for but harder to find the further you are located from the coasts. New floor likely will be 3/4" HDPE, suspended with washers and rings - I'll post pix.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #7
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd love to see pics of your system as well, sounds like what I'd like to build. Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2013   #8

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm going to argue that it is probably mostly OK as rigged. I'd add a couple more straps in the remaining holes but I've run something similar for 5 years with no problems. That is about 2-3 weeklong trips per year. of course I tend to pack relatively light.... But no signs of wear or tear on boats or the floor so far.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #9

Ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've run a similar floor set up for quite some time with no problems even with 6 gallon water jugs up front for extra weight. The other thing you could do to stabilize the floor would be to put a strap all the way around the thwart and through the rear center hole - basically pull the edge of the floor tight to thwart.
ciggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #10

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I don't know about the OP, but I'd love to see a picture. I'm not understanding what protects your tubes from rubbing/chaffing from the beavertail being pulled up under it?
I think he means, use a washer to help reinforce the hole and distribute the weight.

The one unknown is board thickness. I run a skidgard floor similar in my rower compartment. By hanging the board as you have it will put the weight on a relatively narrow portion of wood. (between the hole and the edge.) Running the strap under the floor will distribute the weight better. If the floor is thick enough that it does not flex then it may be strong enough the way it is.

Hang it the way you have it will swing a bit and tilt if you stand on one side. If you lower it so that it is just in contact with the floor when you stand on it, it will not be as unstable.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote