Iron Eagle Versamax Trailer? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-05-2017   #1

BOZEMAN, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Iron Eagle Versamax Trailer?

I have a new Maravia Zephyr and have been on the hunt for a frame and trailer. Thanks to everyone for all of your great/clever ideas...I've learned a ton reading through your many, many threads!

Does anyone have any experience with the Iron Eagle Versamax Trailer?

http://bendtrailers.com/iron-eagle-v...ition-trailer/

In particular, is anyone familiar with the "Tred-X" (vinyl coated plywood) deck?
The trailers come in 2 versions...one being the raft version which gets you a roller, winch, galvanized wheels and the Tred-x deck. I'm interested in the following;[*]how easy it lets the raft slide on/off?[*]how slippery it is to walk on?[*]longevity?

The other option would be to go with their 2x6 deck and put strips of UHMW in line with the raft tubes (I believe Elkhaven is currently doing this).

The trailers are 25" off the ground...27" with 15" tires that I am thinking of upgrading to.

On another note...has anyone attached "Boat Buckles" to their trailer to attach the raft frame to the trailer?

http://http://www.etrailer.com/Cargo...sAkaAiTJ8P8HAQ

Any input of these trailers and/or boat buckles would be greatly appreciated.

montanajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
the tie down would be bad for an inflatable boat. (relying on a hook to hold when the boat softens up in cooler temps and it bounces off, would suck)

on the trailer, can't help but notice they only offer them with crappy bias ply tires. I think for the money you could probably do better shopping elsewhere. just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2017   #3

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
I bought one from bend also. It was a well built trailer. I liked that the roller could be removed with just 2 nuts. I'd remove it when hauling a Polaris ranger. It has a 3.5k axle which is nice. I bought mine without a deck for $1400 and just used 2x6 lumber and just stained it.
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017   #4

spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
Got a versamax last yr. Trailer is well built and deck is great. Boat slides on great. Not slick til wet really. Great drains built into the corners. 15" tires makes for a taller deck height but not a issue for me.
lll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I believe tred-x is one of the newer alternatives to the old skid guard plywood. It's HDPE coated plywood. I've talked with Sunshine sports in billings about it and they were moving that route since skidguard is no longer made. The issue is it seems there are numerous different textures to it. Some smooth, some sharply ridged for traction, etc so it would depend on which they use. The stuff he showed me was essentially a series of cross hatched rectangles, about a half inch square - each made up of about 4 or 5 little ribs (about 1/8" deep). Hard to describe but looks like it would give fair traction to shoes but allow the boat to slide over the top. I'd ask them to send you a close up pic, or better yet a sample of the decking.

What I've seen looks very much like this - but is light gray color.

I do like my plyood deck with HDPE runners... Makes it slippery under the tubes and grippy in the middle. There are definitely many ways to skin a cat though.

Hooks are typically a bad idea due to fluctuations in tube pressure. I couldn't open that link, so I'm not exactly sure what they look like but I think I know what they are. Probably not worth the risk. If you use a hook it needs to be a hook with a latch, like a caribiner. Not an open hook, they will fall off when you really don't want them to.

Sorry, don't know anything about that trailer company!
Old 02-07-2017   #6

Revelstoke, BC
One thing to consider is that the trailer tail lights are more vulnerable when they're mounted under the frame rather than within the frame. If you're not likely to pull it through anything extreme it shouldn't be an issue given the height of the deck.
raknrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017   #7

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Iron Eagle trailers are built here in Portland. Two years ago I purchased an Aire Jaguarundi that came with a trailer that had 2 x 6's for the deck, spaced one foot apart. Needless to say the cat was a real headache to slid on and off. I explored many options here on the Buzz, including HDPE, etc. I also heard about Iron Eagle here, but felt a manufacturer would not want to mess around with my little project. But, these guys were great to work with, bought two 4 x 8 Tred X panels, and they threw in two 3 x 4 surplus/ cutoffs from other projects. Also bought an 8 foot roller. Very happy with end result, can load/unload 16 ft. cat easily by myself. Tred X seems to be high quality, bottom has a black plastic coating, top has a very light texture, 3/4 plywood. They actually didn't think I would need the roller, that the Tred X would suffice, but I sprang for it anyway, works like a champ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0824.jpg (1.64 MB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0825.jpg (1.60 MB, 171 views)
cnw1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017   #8

BOZEMAN, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by lll100 View Post
Got a versamax last yr. Trailer is well built and deck is great. Boat slides on great. Not slick til wet really. Great drains built into the corners. 15" tires makes for a taller deck height but not a issue for me.
Thanks to all for your replies!

I'm still having trouble deciding which way to go...especially since they just told me they do not do an 8x14 with 2x6 decking anymore (largest is 7x12 now...I wonder why...I emailed them to ask that)

For lll100...or anyone else that has an opinion...I will have my 15 ft boat pretty much loaded all the time (mostly for day trips...not extended overnighters...double rail frame, drybox, cooler)...do you think with your tred-x deck, roller and winch (I'm upgrading to a 2500 lb winch...overkill, I know), that loading/unloading could be a one person Job?

Could you possibly take a close up picture of the deck...perhaps showing it against one of the metal sides? Is it just like the picture Elkhaven attached...only a light gray?

I'm also considering going to the other extreme of just getting a 7k or 10k tandem axle 8x16 and adding the strips of UHMW, roller and winch. While you can't predict the future, I envision having this trailer for the long haul and going this route would allow me to use it for many other things...even towing my tractor or another vehicle. Weight really isn't a consideration as I will tow it with my F350. The downsides as I see it, would be a deck 9" higher...36" total height (which may affect the abilty to go solo...but I think I read a few of the guys with the "storage underneath" trailers say they can load/unload solo) and I'd lose the mobility to move it around by hand. For approx $1000-1200 more, it would be a lot more trailer...tandem, brakes, 2 ft longer, 6" wider. I am aware that optimally it would be best to have a 500lb super low dedicated trailer...and then the 10k for bigger jobs, but I really only want one trailer...and thats all that will fit the garage.

Also...just an fyi...Iron Eagle seems to be fairly easy to work with...wanted to supply my own Maxis D rated radials and wheels...no problems...just bring them in mounted and they will install and decduct their wheels/tires...same for winch...no problems increasing winch height, etc.

Thanks for everone's time...all of your viewpoints have been super helpful.
montanajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017   #9

Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanajt View Post
Thanks to all for your replies!

I'm still having trouble deciding which way to go...especially since they just told me they do not do an 8x14 with 2x6 decking anymore (largest is 7x12 now...I wonder why...I emailed them to ask that)

For lll100...or anyone else that has an opinion...I will have my 15 ft boat pretty much loaded all the time (mostly for day trips...not extended overnighters...double rail frame, drybox, cooler)...do you think with your tred-x deck, roller and winch (I'm upgrading to a 2500 lb winch...overkill, I know), that loading/unloading could be a one person Job?

Could you possibly take a close up picture of the deck...perhaps showing it against one of the metal sides? Is it just like the picture Elkhaven attached...only a light gray?

I'm also considering going to the other extreme of just getting a 7k or 10k tandem axle 8x16 and adding the strips of UHMW, roller and winch. While you can't predict the future, I envision having this trailer for the long haul and going this route would allow me to use it for many other things...even towing my tractor or another vehicle. Weight really isn't a consideration as I will tow it with my F350. The downsides as I see it, would be a deck 9" higher...36" total height (which may affect the abilty to go solo...but I think I read a few of the guys with the "storage underneath" trailers say they can load/unload solo) and I'd lose the mobility to move it around by hand. For approx $1000-1200 more, it would be a lot more trailer...tandem, brakes, 2 ft longer, 6" wider. I am aware that optimally it would be best to have a 500lb super low dedicated trailer...and then the 10k for bigger jobs, but I really only want one trailer...and thats all that will fit the garage.

Also...just an fyi...Iron Eagle seems to be fairly easy to work with...wanted to supply my own Maxis D rated radials and wheels...no problems...just bring them in mounted and they will install and decduct their wheels/tires...same for winch...no problems increasing winch height, etc.

Thanks for everone's time...all of your viewpoints have been super helpful.

I've had a Versamax (7x12 w/roller & winch) for about 3 years now. It's been a great trailer. I've hauled 2 boats double stacked all over Oregon and Idaho. I can slide a fully loaded 14' raft off without too much difficulty. And the winch can pull the same fully loaded raft out of the water as long as the nose clears the roller.

It might be a good idea to upgrade the tires as you mentioned. I had one of my original tires give out on the way into Boundary Creek last year. The tread came completely off but the tire still held air all the way to the put-in. Luckily I had invested in a spare tire just prior to the trip.

Good luck with your decision, whatever you decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	14161   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	14169  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	14177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	14185  

VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017   #10

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Close up

Here you go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0810.jpg (1.00 MB, 215 views)
cnw1998 is offline   Reply With Quote