Interior sealant for raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2012   #1

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Interior sealant for raft

I have a hypalon raft that I want to extend the life of by putting the sealant that goes inside the tube. What are my options? I know this exists, but can't remember what it is called or where I can get it.
There are several places on the boat where the air has leaked through the inner layer and the fabric and creates a blister or bubble. I have had to cut away the outer layer that has delaminated and then add a patch. I want to seal it from the inside.

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012   #2

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Inland marine
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #3

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I have a 27 year old Riken I would be interested in doing this too. No blisters or bubbles but the outer layer is fading and just soaks up 303 but is still dry. How do you seal from the inside? I am interested in what you find out please share what you learn. I have looked at inland marine and they make some material you paint on the outside looks pretty durable, have you done this to the boat?
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012   #4

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicho View Post
I have a 27 year old Riken I would be interested in doing this too. No blisters or bubbles but the outer layer is fading and just soaks up 303 but is still dry. How do you seal from the inside? I am interested in what you find out please share what you learn. I have looked at inland marine and they make some material you paint on the outside looks pretty durable, have you done this to the boat?
Mine is also a Riken. The outside layer is in good shape. It is the inside that is leaking, if I sealed the outside I would still get the blisters, they would just be a little thicker with the sealant. I need to stop the air from leaking through the interior layer.
Old 08-13-2012   #5
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
check out DIB's latex sealant on the bottom of this page
Inflatable Boat Solvents and Paints
I have used it only once so far on an ancient funyak, worked good.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #6

vancouver, Washington
Inland marine makes an interior sealant that is white and not the same as their exterior black rubber coat. You pour in the tubes, inflate the chamber, and then keep sloshing and rotating the tube until it coats and cures.

My experience was on a smaller urethane cat tube with a slow leak. It fixed it. Dont know about long term durability but their products seem to be made for hypalon materials
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #7

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikii875 View Post
I have a hypalon raft that I want to extend the life of by putting the sealant that goes inside the tube. What are my options? I know this exists, but can't remember what it is called or where I can get it.
There are several places on the boat where the air has leaked through the inner layer and the fabric and creates a blister or bubble. I have had to cut away the outer layer that has delaminated and then add a patch. I want to seal it from the inside.
Boat Protectant Inflatable Boat, Raft Sealant, Interior Fix A Leak For Rafts

I bought an old PVC Sotar (yes Sotar made some PVC boats back in the day) a while back that had a few pinholes that I couldn't find. I used this stuff and it stopped them all up in one application. Durability? I don't know as I sold the boat shortly after, but it held air like it was new after I used it initially.
Old 08-13-2012   #8

Charleston, West Virginny
There is also the Raftsmith Flex-Seal that they sell on the NRS website.

A friend of mine used it on an old hypalon SB and said it worked well. I'm about to try it myself this week to seal up the thwarts on my old hyside.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Flex-Seal is a two-part mixture that look like whipping cream when you put it into the raft tube. As someone earlier said, after putting the liquid into the tube, you inflate the raft and continue turning it over and over, around and around until the liquid cures.

I used it on an old neoprene raft with mixed results. It did indeed seal-up the porus areas that it covered. The trick was getting is sloshed around to all parts of the raft. Also, keep turning the raft (this is a group activity) long after you think the stuff has cured. I stopped a bit too soon and ended up with a couple of thick puddles in the bottom of the tubes. These eventually became brittle and cracked, basically ending the life of the raft.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #10

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post
Flex-Seal is a two-part mixture that look like whipping cream when you put it into the raft tube. As someone earlier said, after putting the liquid into the tube, you inflate the raft and continue turning it over and over, around and around until the liquid cures.

I used it on an old neoprene raft with mixed results. It did indeed seal-up the porus areas that it covered. The trick was getting is sloshed around to all parts of the raft. Also, keep turning the raft (this is a group activity) long after you think the stuff has cured. I stopped a bit too soon and ended up with a couple of thick puddles in the bottom of the tubes. These eventually became brittle and cracked, basically ending the life of the raft.
Nice addition to the conversation. It was a 2 man job to properly coat the inside of the tubes for me; and we rotated it for about 45 minutes.

Seems like if there was enough to "puddle" you may have used to much? I used one application in a 12 foot Sotar with 18 inch tubes.