Instant Coffee on a Grand Trip? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-21-2015   #1

Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Instant Coffee on a Grand Trip?

When my wife first proposed this idea to me I was disgusted.

Use instant coffee instead of brewing up a manly batch of strong, black jitter juice with my ultra-deluxe river specific coffee making equipment? Forego the arduous process of monitoring the percolator? Eliminate the need for cleaning out the specialized coffee stuff?? No more chit-chat around the kitchen area about how we use secret techniques for settling the grounds in our potent batch of cowboy coffee...

Then, I thought, "This might be a good idea."

I've used the starbucks instant coffee packs backpacking and cat-boating fast 'n light class 4/5 rivers and they're actually pretty damn good.

Anyone ever use instant coffee on a Grand Trip? If so, how was it received by your group?

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015   #2

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
She's off the trip~

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
You don't need instant unless you really like the taste. You can find coffee bags in the grocery store, and you use them just like tea bags and get great real brewed coffee in a minute.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015   #4

I would murder you and leave you in the desert.

I would expect your crew to do the same.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #5

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoods View Post
When my wife first proposed this idea to me I was disgusted.

Use instant coffee instead of brewing up a manly batch of strong, black jitter juice with my ultra-deluxe river specific coffee making equipment? Forego the arduous process of monitoring the percolator? Eliminate the need for cleaning out the specialized coffee stuff?? No more chit-chat around the kitchen area about how we use secret techniques for settling the grounds in our potent batch of cowboy coffee...

Then, I thought, "This might be a good idea."

I've used the starbucks instant coffee packs backpacking and cat-boating fast 'n light class 4/5 rivers and they're actually pretty damn good.

Anyone ever use instant coffee on a Grand Trip? If so, how was it received by your group?
I use them on hangover days only. They produce 8 times the amount of waste,cost 4 times as much but take half the time to make as a pot of coffee. Love and hate them.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Blasphemy!

I mean, if it is for you two, do whatever you'd like. If you are unknowingly imposing this on a whole trip for the whole time, i'd pass, you could get strung up. I'd certainly at least make it known so others have options. I run two presses on big trips and it works great. No over perking, make presses as people wake up, no half gallon of leftovers to dump, quick to make a "half pot" or even just a cup.
Old 09-21-2015   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Just make sure it is instant decaf coffee and you will be all set.

Maybe if you are desperate it might work. Are you desperate? It sounds like you hate coffee maybe. Or maybe it is just I who hates Starbucks coffee. To me it honestly tastes like complete crap. I went to one of the stores for another event and the server was doing free samples of their regular vs instant. Neither tasted good but I picked the instant sample three times in a row without even trying.

But what do I know, I row open locks.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015   #8
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
Coffee's disgusting.
All of you people need to smoke WAY more weed in the morning.

But what do I know, I row pins & clips.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #9

Central Point, Oregon
Instant coffee is a sad alternative to the real deal. I spent 17 days in a packraft on the North Slope of AK this summer and it was all instant. It was better than nothing but...

I also hate percolating coffee. The first thing I do with a coffee pot is "lose" the innards and buy a small strainer. I like advanced cowboy coffee.

Bring pot of water to rolling boil- I prefer river water and boil for the recommended time to purify water. Turn off burner and add three large heaping serving spoons of coffee,

Let seep for 5 minutes.

Pour through strainer in to a craft and/or cups and enjoy.

This method is easier than the peculator and takes much less time in making and cleaning up the stove from the over-boil.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #10

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I think it is a great idea. I bet it goes great with freeze dried eggs in the morning!
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote