Installing D Rings with HH 66 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2016   #1

little rock, Arkansas
Installing D Rings with HH 66

I've decided (with a little persuasion from the fine knowledgeable folks at Tuff River Stuff) to add a couple of D rings to my Trib so I'll have six frame straps instead of four. I have some HH 66 which I've used for adhering thigh strap anchors in my canoe but haven't tried on PVC. I think it will work very well but thought I'd ask the experts before proceeding.

Clean, rough up, apply a thin coat and allow to dry, apply a second thin coat and allow to dry tacky then install and roll? Should I do this with the boat inflated? Other thoughts?

Thanks!

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2016   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 91'
I personally inflate the raft, this provides a better visual as to where I want the d ring. Plus PVC boats are rock solid when inflated. As for the application it sounds like you know what your doing. Everyone has their own preferences though!
rubtheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would Never ever use any glue other than real PVC or hypalon inflatable boat glue (two part stabond, etc).. Wait till you can spring the $20 on the real stuff and make sure it's a fresh can too. If you have to go cheap at very least use aquaseal.

This is for a frame d ring fer godsakes. Give it a fighting chance to hold on.

The reason your very nice tributary raft is welded is gluing PVC boats is a weak joint anyway and that's with good glue.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2016   #4

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
I would Never ever use any glue other than real PVC or hypalon inflatable boat glue (two part stabond, etc).. Wait till you can spring the $20 on the real stuff and make sure it's a fresh can too. If you have to go cheap at very least use aquaseal.

This is for a frame d ring fer godsakes. Give it a fighting chance to hold on.

The reason your very nice tributary raft is welded is gluing PVC boats is a weak joint anyway and that's with good glue.
So you think the HH 66 is a bad idea? I can order some different adhesive if I need to, but TRS said it would work great and I read on here that several raft shops and even a couple of buzzards use it so I figured it would be fine. Am I missing something?
Old 06-21-2016   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
If the boat was in the shop, the d rings would get glued on the inside of the boat like the factory ones (they are welded on the inside). Look at how they are done and do the same thing. It looks neat, keeps glue from getting everywhere on the outside of the boat and is a hell of a lot stronger than gluing it on the outside. Its one of the best features of a bladder boat in my opinion so why not take advantage. If the glue isnt the best or you dont do a perfect job it has the added stability of being pinned on the inside. It would have to shred the material to get out. FWIW, I'd use Stabond. Never used HH66 so I cant comment on its suitability.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016   #6

Denver, Colorado
I'm not familiar with the stuff personally so I probably jumped the gun and associated it with the loads of PVC and vinyl glues that folks get at the hardware store and try to fix stuff with. If this is some new industry secret sauce then have at it. I would personally wait to hear from zbaird or someone like him on the issue tho, or just call aire for their recommendation. They are great at picking up the phone and giving the straigh poop.

Ive used the two part stabond on my outcast pac1000 and it holds just like on hypalon repairs I've used it on. That is to say very sticky.

-oops looks like zbaird beat my post. Listen to him. Way more smarter.
Old 06-21-2016   #7

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
If the boat was in the shop, the d rings would get glued on the inside of the boat like the factory ones (they are welded on the inside). Look at how they are done and do the same thing. It looks neat, keeps glue from getting everywhere on the outside of the boat and is a hell of a lot stronger than gluing it on the outside. Its one of the best features of a bladder boat in my opinion so why not take advantage. If the glue isnt the best or you dont do a perfect job it has the added stability of being pinned on the inside. It would have to shred the material to get out. FWIW, I'd use Stabond. Never used HH66 so I cant comment on its suitability.
Okay, that's way too advanced for me to tackle, but I just went outside and held one of the D ring patches against the boat where I'd glue it (centered between the two factory ones) and it looked so ghetto. Now I don't want to do it at all! Do I really need six frame straps? Dadgummit.
Old 06-21-2016   #8

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
I'm not familiar with the stuff personally so I probably jumped the gun and associated it with the loads of PVC and vinyl glues that folks get at the hardware store and try to fix stuff with. If this is some new industry secret sauce then have at it. I would personally wait to hear from zbaird or someone like him on the issue tho, or just call aire for their recommendation. They are great at picking up the phone and giving the straigh poop.

Ive used the two part stabond on my outcast pac1000 and it holds just like on hypalon repairs I've used it on. That is to say very sticky.

-oops looks like zbaird beat my post. Listen to him. Way more smarter.
It's cool. That's why I axed! FWIW here's a thread about the stuff. https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...one-60614.html
Old 06-21-2016   #9

Denver, Colorado
Here's a thought- put the pin in from the center thwart and strap to that. Some big boats use interior d rings and it actually anchors the frame better. No glue and reversible when zbaird tells us why me not so smart.
Old 06-21-2016   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Thwart attachments are a great way to add strength to a frame tie down. Ive used them on big water for years. Cant have enough frame attachment points when a heavy boat is really getting worked over. Spread the weight!
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote