Inside of Old Avons? - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Inside of Old Avons?

I want to build a frameless paddlecat out of my old Avon bucket boat (1977 16' pro). I realized that after I remove the d-rings, handles and wear stripe it would be the ugliest boat in Colorado.

I had the idea that I could turn the tubes inside out to expose the untouched rubber. I know that the newer CSM materials are neoprene/nylon/hypalon but old Avon material was hypalon on both sides. If I recall correctly, the old Avon hypalon has 2 different textures on each side. Are they the same functionally?

Does anyone know if the old (1st generation) Avon hypalon is identical on both sides? Are the seams taped with grey tape inside? Are the baffles hypalon or perhaps gum rubber? Maybe the inside coating is paper thin? Is there any other reason this is a terrible idea?

Before I dissect an antique boat, I wanted to find someone who has seen inside one.

caseyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

I think you should step away from the toluene
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
I think you should step away from the toluene
Why did I expect to find anything other than trolls on the buzz? This place gets more and more useless everyday.

Maybe you should find something to do other than make useless comments. Especially when they make you look intimidated by glue and unaware of the existence or respirators.

If you can't run with the big dogs ... heckle them from the porch. Haha 🖕
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Low value comment, but not quite useless. Attempt at humor that might be a miss.

What I'm trying to say is I think it's a massive waste of time, hypolan, and chemicals. I would paddle as is. Maybe paint it if you want it to look nicer? Not sure what kind of paint. Can urethane coating have tint?

Run wild big doggo.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Seattle, Washington
Generally, I'd think turning tubes inside would be ugly too. what are you gonna do about the recessed valves?

In trying to make a frameless paddlecat, the sidetubes seem too long, and the thwarts too wide. are you gonna change any of that up?

the paddlecats I've seen have stiff bailing floors between the thwarts. what is your floor plan?

I think I'd probably give it a pre season selway shakedown cruise, that should show any shortcomings in the rig.

fantastic idea, shame it didn't come up in the offseason. We'd be on page 4 already.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
massive waste of time, hypolan, and chemicals
Perspective is everything. The only wasted hypalon is dry hypalon.

The boat is in 95% perfect shape. It holds air for days. The previous owner had it in an attic for 20+ years. It is my dedicated flat water multiday boat. But I don't really run flat multidays. It hasn't been wet in 5 years.

I have a 14' Avon self bailer and a Hyside 13' self bailer.

Truth is, I probably wouldn't be able to cut that boat. I have it completely almost restored (internal hypalon tube chicken line, logos, valve caps.... I just can't find beckets). It is outfitted with vintage coolers, boxes etc.. I love it!

But I see dirt cheap avon bucket boats on CL often enough.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Most boat fabric I've seen on the inside of tubes is very lightly coated. Durability would be a concern for me if I was going to throw that much time and money into a project.

Slickhorn all the orginal paddlecats (shredders and dibs) have essentially a bucket boat (fabric) floor with holes...it only selfbails because the floor his elevated between the tubes.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
There was a post on hear a couple of years ago about turning an old Avon inside out, maybe you can find it?

If you go through with the idea, it would be an interesting project on the Buzz, despite any heckling you’re getting.
Before you start, take a look at what you could get out of the boat, and what a new Slice costs, but I, more then anyone out there, get, wanting to cut some shit, screw some things back together, glue som fabric, if it makes me happy. More power to ya!!!!

If it were me, I’d go buy some good beer, share it with Zach, and invite him on the middle fork or Grand. Can’t speak for him, but the guy knows his shit with boat work...
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
The inside of avons are beautiful aside from the glue smeared about, which can be cleaned up. Inflatable Tech flipped one inside out and glued it back up. It was wonderful.

The original dark grey avons, the old achilles and old hyside had double hypalon.

It sounds like the boat is in great shape. It would be a shame to see it get scrapped. That said, it would be cool to see it turned into something unique, especially if you aren't going to use it. I get old ones in from time to time that get junked. If yours is in that good of shape i'll make a note on my parts list to let you know if I get some motor becketts.

If you are going to give it a go. I would patch up any wear spots on the outside before you flip it as the air holding capacity is from the hypalon and not the scrim. It'll be a hell of a project. Be aware that you may end up scrapping the boat due to the intensity, if you are good with that, get started! Good luck.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyh View Post
Truth is, I probably wouldn't be able to cut that boat. I have it completely almost restored (internal hypalon tube chicken line, logos, valve caps.... I just can't find beckets).

Check with Zach Sack at Inflatable Technologies, they restored my Pro a couple of years ago and had them. They also made a die to extrude the original yellow rub strake to replace mine.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote