In the market for a big boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
In the market for a big boat?

Below is a review I just posted in the classifieds about a boat I went and looked at. If you are in the market for a big boat this is worth a look for sure. Title of the classified is "18' Hyside"

I went and looked at this boat. The rubber is in real good shape for a 93. It has some patches but everything is solid. A few of the D-rings may want to get replaced but no biggie. Seam tape has no peel, glue on the boat has a ton of life left in it as does the material. The valves/ boots are all holding great even the HR PRV so that is a testament as to how this boat has been taken care of. I checked the baffles and they are solid. The frame and all the boxes/ gear are in good shape especially for being bought in 93. Boxes are foamed top and bottom so the floor has no wear marks from the boxes. The 4 carlisle oars are fine, though little beat, but get 2 new runner oars and have 2 spares.

I didn't buy the boat. I was after a full sized 18'er and this boat is narrow. 44 wide inside to inside. If it would have been a full sized 18 I wouldn't be writing this and I'd have it in the garage. Its basically a 16' er that has been stretched to 18'. If I was in the market for a 16 this might be a good way to go as you would get an extra bay without the extra width. I bet this boat tracks like a dream, pushes through wind well and you could punch some serious waves. The narrow width would make it a badass paddle boat (4 thwarts) for a bunch of people on big water. At 4k its a great deal for someone in the market for a big boat. I might be kicking myself if someone snatches it up as I am still thinking about if it would work for what I am after. Im sure this boat knows its own way down the Grand. I am also thinking of buying it anyway and reselling it for 5k. Basically, if you find yourself a little tight or overloaded in your 16 but don't want a real 18' pig, this, is, your, boat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I have owned one, they are top notch boats, tough as nailes and I'm really rough on gear. Good to have someone put eyes on it and report it's condition, I'm not surprised it has held that well. I don't boat much anymore and I seem it the classified section a couple days ago. For the price and complete setup, just add water. It's funny you went to see it, because I was thinking about it also, for my daughter and son-in-law.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Jamestown, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Im sure this boat knows its own way down the Grand.
Appreciate the review. That's a beautiful rig and I'd be tempted to grab it and stick it in the garage for the next 10 years or so until I win a permit for the Grand... except I don't have a garage.
Bleugrass is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Yeah, I don't know if my reasons should make me want a true pig of an 18 over this but I guess I do. I want to be able to drop rockets in a hatch and drop the lid. I need the extra 2" of tube to do that without pressing on the floor. I am definitely second guessing myself after seeing this pop up so close to home, for that price, in that shape. If I dream about it tonight i might just have to go back and get it tomorrow. Then I can have buyers remorse and sell it to you for your daughter for 5k and it'll still be a deal!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
That's funny, I have made worse deals for something I wanted, especially for rafting gear, and never regretted it. Than again I have picked up on some great deals myself, so in the long run it evened itself out. You did not help the situation much by putting eyes on it. At first I was a little bit sceptical, now I'm not. I think my heart is racing, better go take my glycerin pill!!! I think you would be much happier with a real 18 footer, so much more room, this one just would not work well for you.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark