In need of advice choosing raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-14-2012   #1

Boise, Idaho
In need of advice choosing raft

I'm looking to get a boat that's finally mine and I want to know what you guys think. Aire super puma or 143r. I will mainly be on the upper salmon with the hope of getting a permit for the middle fork sometime. I take buddies along usually just fish and ill probably be set up mostly with a frame.

Floater27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012   #2

Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Get the 143R. Unless you really need a narrow 13' raft for R-2ing on small, technical rivers- the 143 will be more versatile and work better for loads on larger volume rivers. I have a Super Puma and love it. But I also have a 15.6' raft for longer, larger volume rivers.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Unless you are a backpack style camper or part of a large group you will probably appreciate the 143 more for the multidays. The superpuma will be more fun for small group paddle trips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What they said
Old 10-15-2012   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Make sure you get one that is avalanche ready.....
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #6

San Juan Islands, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post
Make sure you get one that is avalanche ready.....
Mine is ready for next tsunami

Go for the 143
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #7

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My buddy has a super puma. Although he and his wife can camp on it, its basically an oversized ducky and he is looking for something bigger. Go for the 143R its better to have some extra room for camping or bringing along some friends, and a 14' is still very nimble in the right hands. Just my opinion.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Maybe instead of comparing the super puma to a 14'R, you should think about a Super Duper Puma.

We have a super duper puma and a traditionally sized round 14' boat. I agree with most everything above, but you might want to consider the SDP instead of the SP to a 14'R.

The super duper puma is plenty big to take on self support week long trips with 2 people, or about 2 night trips with 3 people packing lighter. If you plan on regularly doing more than 1 or 2 nights with more than 2 people get the larger 14' round boat. If you plan on doing short and occasional overnighters, but mostly day paddle trips get the SDP. One thing I really like about the SDP over the larger 14' boat we have is that it far better on low, and tight/technical creeky runs, which is my preferred type of run and on steep technical, and I can actually pick it up myself and move it around (just the boat without any gear) loading it in the truck etc. couple shots of the SDP fully loaded for many nights, handling class IV well with this load. I have a fairly low center of gravity when packing this SDP (drop bag, rocket boxes in the cockpit, shorter wider dry box, and relatively lower rower seating position), which makes it pretty stable when fully loaded, even in bigger water like the main salmon (nose first though through the big holes!). Actually have yet to flip it loaded (knock on wood, or pvc?) after many trips with class IV.

my 50 cent
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Maybe instead of comparing the super puma to a 14'R, you should think about a Super Duper Puma.

We have a super duper puma and a traditionally sized round 14' boat. I agree with most everything above, but you might want to consider the SDP instead of the SP to a 14'R.

The super duper puma is plenty big to take on self support week long trips with 2 people, or about 2 night trips with 3 people packing lighter. If you plan on regularly doing more than 1 or 2 nights with more than 2 people get the larger 14' round boat. If you plan on doing short and occasional overnighters, but mostly day paddle trips get the SDP. One thing I really like about the SDP over the larger 14' boat we have is that it far better on low, and tight/technical creeky runs, which is my preferred type of run and on steep technical, and I can actually pick it up myself and move it around (just the boat without any gear) loading it in the truck etc. couple shots of the SDP fully loaded for many nights, handling class IV well with this load. I have a fairly low center of gravity when packing this SDP (drop bag, rocket boxes in the cockpit, shorter wider dry box, and relatively lower rower seating position), which makes it pretty stable when fully loaded, even in bigger water like the main salmon (nose first though through the big holes!). Actually have yet to flip it loaded (knock on wood, or pvc?) after many trips with class IV.

my 50 cent
and a shot of SDP P3 (purple people pleaser) from last week loaded for a few nights for salmon and steelhead angling.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #10

Boise, Idaho
Alright thanks that cleared up quite a few things. Just haven't handled too many of the aire boats other than a puma.
Floater27 is offline   Reply With Quote