IK -- Lynx I vs. Sotar SL - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-23-2013   #1
 
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 432
IK -- Lynx I vs. Sotar SL

Anybody have experience with both of these? How will they feel/handle differently?
(I have a Lynx I, current model and like it just fine, so does my wife, so I MAY just get another, but am wondering about the Sotar.)

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-23-2013   #2
 
slickhorn's Avatar
 
Seattle, Washington
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 517
Depends how you use them ....

The Sotar is longer, with more rocker. It's great for big water, and stays fairly dry and light due to bow shape.

The AIRE floats higher, and IMO is a better low water boat/cargo hauler.

I use my Lynx for fly-in runs, low water runs, and especially low water self support.

I use my Sotar for creeking and big water, and it is a fine self-support boat if there's enough water.

Both are very solid boats and it's mostly a preference thing.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #3
 
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 432
Thank you, Slick. There just may be a Sotar IK in my future.
I'll hafta go back to other Sotar threads and check on the 20% fall sale; hotsheet; who to deal with -- rep or direct; etc.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2013   #4
 
cataraftgirl's Avatar
 
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
Thank you, Slick. There just may be a Sotar IK in my future.
I'll hafta go back to other Sotar threads and check on the 20% fall sale; hotsheet; who to deal with -- rep or direct; etc.
Fall sale is October 1st - 12th. 20% off the in stock and new order boats. If an in stock (sales hot sheet) boat that you like is still available on the last day of the sale, you get an additional 5% off. Info is from Cheryl the Sotar sales manager. I'm thinking about a new raft and got the info on the sale from Cheryl.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #5
swimming
 
Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Fall sale is October 1st - 12th. 20% off the in stock and new order boats. If an in stock (sales hot sheet) boat that you like is still available on the last day of the sale, you get an additional 5% off. Info is from Cheryl the Sotar sales manager. I'm thinking about a new raft and got the info on the sale from Cheryl.
I was looking at the hot sheet and it seems to me these are all seconds or blems or used. so it isn't really a deal you are just paying less for a used boat or one that is messed up. Why so many blems? You would think someone making boats that long wouldn't still be making that many mistakes.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #6
 
cataraftgirl's Avatar
 
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
I was looking at the hot sheet and it seems to me these are all seconds or blems or used. so it isn't really a deal you are just paying less for a used boat or one that is messed up. Why so many blems? You would think someone making boats that long wouldn't still be making that many mistakes.
I'm curious....how do you know by reading a printed list that these boats are all blems, seconds, or mistakes? You say that by looking at the list you can tell that these boats are messed up and not worthy of purchase. Have you actually seen them or seen pictures of them? Perhaps you have psychic abilities? Just wondering.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #7
swimming
 
Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I'm curious....how do you know by reading a printed list that these boats are all blems, seconds, or mistakes? You say that by looking at the list you can tell that these boats are messed up and not worthy of purchase. Have you actually seen them or seen pictures of them? Perhaps you have psychic abilities? Just wondering.
Fairly simple, open your rolling eyes and look under status on the website. The list is usually chocked full of 2nd or used. Twisted seams, fabric burns etc, boats that the original customer declined.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #8
 
San Juan Islands, Washington
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 217
My Sotar is supposed to be a blem but I've never found any defects in it, They said the footpegs are in the wrong location or something but they look the same as every other Sotar I've seen. It's a 2005 and it has never given me any trouble. I think they have very high quality control and wouldn't sell anything as a first quality boat that isn't.
I think Brian answered your question with the first post.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #9
swimming
 
Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrefried View Post
My Sotar is supposed to be a blem but I've never found any defects in it, They said the footpegs are in the wrong location or something but they look the same as every other Sotar I've seen. It's a 2005 and it has never given me any trouble. I think they have very high quality control and wouldn't sell anything as a first quality boat that isn't.
I think Brian answered your question with the first post.
Some are bad with patches, cat tubes more than any with twisted seams ,some are not noticeable, all float just fine. Also if you think your boat will be all urethane guess again, they have been slipping in a blend material that is less money on some of the colors. My buddys boat has it and it is way different than the pure urethane.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #10
 
San Juan Islands, Washington
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 217
What are they using instead of Urethane? I mine is made from the tan material that was supposed to be inferior (if you believe everything you hear), It gets constant use in salt water and has seen it's share of sharp barnacles, rocks, and raccoons dragging it around the yard and has never seen a patch.
If they are using something else I'm sure it's a high quality fabric. the tan was a military fabric that was originally made to use as water tanks (bladders) during Desert Storm.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aire Lynx 2 - old vs. new Notch Whitewater Kayaking 22 01-18-2012 01:43 PM
Aire Lynx I & Outfitter I johnovice Kayaking | Gear Talk 6 10-07-2010 08:53 AM
Lynx sighting by the Ark Phil U. Whitewater Kayaking 15 03-30-2010 03:24 PM
hyside IK bottom vs. lynx johnovice Kayaking | Gear Talk 8 08-10-2009 03:58 PM
Considering AIRE Lynx II jeepguy_1980 Whitewater Kayaking 6 11-11-2004 07:58 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.