Igloo Yukon 150 cooler questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-23-2014   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Igloo Yukon 150 cooler questions

My SO can get a pretty good deal on the Yukon 150 coolers. I can't say I care for the molded handles, but we also have a hard time thinking about paying $500-600 for Yeti or Engle brand cooler. Does anyone on MB have any experience with the Yukon coolers? Are the molded handle a real draw back?

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014   #2

Park City, Utah
Jeez. Non of you buzzards have bought one of these thing?
Old 10-24-2014   #3

little rock, Arkansas
Your specific question regards experience with the Igloo Yukon which I don't have so I can't help you there. However, I will say this. Canyon coolers are the shiznippity. I can personally vouch for the products and the guys. They have a 155 for $450. Not sure what kind of deal your SO can get on the Igloo but it appears to be $650, so unless it's a smokin' deal I know what I'd do. Happy hunting.
lncoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2014   #4
rafter

Bend, N'A
Paddling Since: 2000
I've got a 150 qt. IGLOO cooler. Easily replaced the molded plastic handles with rope and pvc pipe grips. And as usual, I find that cooler habits make a bigger difference than the cooler. I can keep ice for 15 days in the Grand Canyon. Keeping your cooler covered with wet burlap really helps as does an inner cover. Downstream, Russ
rioperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #5

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioperro View Post
I've got a 150 qt. IGLOO cooler. Easily replaced the molded plastic handles with rope and pvc pipe grips. And as usual, I find that cooler habits make a bigger difference than the cooler. I can keep ice for 15 days in the Grand Canyon. Keeping your cooler covered with wet burlap really helps as does an inner cover. Downstream, Russ
I was thinking about the Igloo Yukon but didn't get it for because of the handles. Did you just cut the handles off? If you have pics I'd love to see them.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't think rioperro has a Yukon, pretty sure he's talkin' about one of the cheaper Igloos.

Cutting of the molded handles would be a really bad idea, it would loose it's seal and much of it's insulating ability, not to mention get water inside and saturate the foam.

On a molded handle note I have a cheaper Gott 150 qt with them (pretty similar in appearance to the Yukon really) and I was surprised that it fits perfectly between my tubes, almost like it was made to fit there. It was a gift and my first impression was waste of space but it turns out I like it. Moral - check out the dimensions or dry fit one - it may fit really well...
Old 10-24-2014   #7

Park City, Utah
Thanks guys. She can get one for around $350-80ish, but it's one of those no return deals, so we want to make sure it fits. I'm waiting for Igloo to get back to me on the dimensions at 11'' from the bottom. We have 42'' between the tubes at the lower frame rails, so it will probably fit.
Old 10-24-2014   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
I have a smaller yukon and love the thing. It holds ice like no tomorrow. 1 bock of ice and a 10 pound bag for cocktails lasted my girlfriend and I for a week on Lake Powell. I like the molded in handles as they are not going to break or rip out in a flip. Good luck
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014   #9

Park City, Utah
Well, Igloo CS wasn't super helpful, but based on the specs it looks like the 150 is 42'' x 20'' under the handles. That'll work. Won't be easy to drain without pulling it out of the frame though.
Old 10-24-2014   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Hey TMACC I bought a mammoth cooler on Woot. There is a thread here somewhere about them. I haven't used it yet but it looks super nice, has good rope handles, real nice latches, hinge etc. seems very well built and was cheaper than what your looking to spend. Not sure if your interested in other brands but I would recommend it. I also can attest to the Canyon coolers. They are nice as well.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote