Identify this tent - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2019   #11

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Those tents are such a pain in the ass to set up. I would never buy one in a million years! Adventure Sun Valley has those and when I would run the gear boat you would have to set 10 of those things up. They are ridiculous. You would be better off with something like this.

https://www.kelty.com/outback-6-tent/

Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019   #12

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndTheLab View Post
I believe these are the Timberline XT OUTFITTERs. Heavier duty zippers and zip up mesh. They look like the 4 person but could be 6.
The 4 person is only 4'9" tall. the pictures sure look a lot taller.. The 6 man is 6'4" tall.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019   #13

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
The Timberline series is known in older parlance as the draw-tite, having its origins in the old cotton Blanchard Draw-Tite. Built by a few other people ... (Morson ... Monson?) Having used many of the Timberline versions, I found the "Outfitters" are worth the money and the weight. I spent decades shaving ounces from my kit, but I'm now looking for one of the old "Sailcraft" (cotton sailcloth) biggest-sized Blanchard tents, or parts. Hey, even another 6-man Outfitter" would be nice. The Timberline is still another Draw-Tite by Blanchard.
villagelightsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019   #14

Hi,

A two man Timberline and a Eureka Drawtite we're our first family camping tents, the theory being let mom and dad have some privacy by putting the kids in the Timberline.

The attached photos show the Drawtite, which had a rather sturdy external aluminum tube frame covered by a waterproof fly. A bit more headroom than the Timberline, at the expense of weight. But we were car and canoe camping at that stage, so weight was not an issue.

And after you did it a few times, setup on either tent was fast and easy. I actually still have one four man Timberline, in fact ..

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	716_1_1554809408719.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	33775   Click image for larger version

Name:	375_1_1554809463770.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	33777  

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019   #15

little rock, Arkansas
Great pics and great memories. Thanks for sharing.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019   #16

Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
One of my first family sized tents was a 4 person Eureka Timberline. I believe it was the Outfitter version which means you pay a little extra and get a tougher floor. The design was easy to set up and there was quite a bit of headroom. It did ok with rain but not so good with wind. It would not be my first choice if wind-bound in some remote river camp.
Take a look at the Marmot Limelight series. I have a 4 person and love it. Lots of guy outs and full coverage with the rain fly. Have never done it, but you could likely fit 2 cots in this model.
If money were growing on trees I'd take a hard look at a snowtrekker tent.
crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019   #17
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfox21 View Post
One of my first family sized tents was a 4 person Eureka Timberline. I believe it was the Outfitter version which means you pay a little extra and get a tougher floor. The design was easy to set up and there was quite a bit of headroom. It did ok with rain but not so good with wind. It would not be my first choice if wind-bound in some remote river camp.
Take a look at the Marmot Limelight series. I have a 4 person and love it. Lots of guy outs and full coverage with the rain fly. Have never done it, but you could likely fit 2 cots in this model.
If money were growing on trees I'd take a hard look at a snowtrekker tent.
Haha! I have a Timberline Outfitter 6 and was car camping in Echo Park when a crazy-windy storm came through in the middle of the night. All the stakes came out of the ground and I was lying spread eagle trying to keep from tumbling away while my wife and son huddled in the corner. Waterfalls began coming off the cliffs and a river was flowing through my campsite. We didn't sleep well that night but it did keep us dry. I had to straighten a pole between two boulders. We left for a hike early and when we got back the entire campground was empty. The ranger had come around and told everyone that if they didn't leave the road out was going to be impassable. I think all their tents were busted anyhow. The rain stopped and we had a lovely night with Echo Park to ourselves. Thanks for bringing up a good memory!

I wanted a wood stove in my tent and considered modifying the Timberline but opted for a Seek Outside Redcliff tipi instead. I also bought a bunch of Rockbuster tent stakes to keep it on the ground.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019   #18

Golden, Colorado
Has anyone used one with just the fly, or have you tried it attached to a raft frame on a boat. Seems like it would be interesting as an alternative to a TP for shelter on a raft.
Old 04-12-2019   #19

Hi,

I actually used a Timberline fly on my 20' cat, by making some PVC fittings that snapped over the frame tubes, into which the tent frame dropped. Worked quite well.

Sadly, no pictures exist...

Fwiw

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019   #20

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Eureka Timberline Outfitter...

...the outfitter I used to work for used these tents. There are some pros and cons. Pros: they stay very dry in the rain, and are easy to set up. Cons: they don't pack down very small, they are heavy, and they don't have as much headroom as a dome style tent.
Pine is offline   Reply With Quote