Ideas for rigging suspended captains floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2019   #1

Ideas for rigging suspended captains floor

I am planning on putting a diamond plate floor in the captains bay of my 13' RMR and I'm looking for good ways to rig it. I will run one rocket box on either side of my feet, probably rigged to the floor. My concern is that if the boat flips, the floor could pop out and start dangling, which could be dangerous. The guy at DRE told me I should run a strap on each side of the metal floor through the bailing holes on the raft to keep it secured, but that seems like it could jeopardize the raft floor if I get stuck on a rock.

Does anyone have a good way to rig a suspended floor so it will stay down if the boat flips while also giving it a small amount of leeway to move up and down if the boat gets high centered or pinned on a rock? I'm thinking I could just leave the straps through the bailing holes a little loose to allow for some play, but hoping for a better idea that doesn't involve loose straps.

Hholtrop94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Run a strap over the top of the rocket boxes from each cross rail. It isn't convenient, but doing it for big rapids usually isn't bad. I do not run rigging theough the floor of my raft.
Old 02-15-2019   #3

I have hang tabs on my captains boxes. The boxes are secured to the frame with straps run thru slots on the hang tabs. ( some folks bolt through the tabs to the cross rails). The floor extends beneath the captains boxes, and is cinched up tight to their bottoms. This results in a Nice secure platform.
rivergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019   #4

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
On my big boat the floor goes under my dry box. The dry box is then strapped to the frame.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #5

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
What Spider said, basically. My floors are long enough to go under the cooler in the back and drybox in the front. The strap over can suggestion is also a good one that I do on occasion. 4' Loop straps work great cause they stay in place when you have to access the can. I usually try to run this strap through some other strap holding the can down to keep it up on top if things get extra wild.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergod View Post
I have hang tabs on my captains boxes. The boxes are secured to the frame with straps run thru slots on the hang tabs. ( some folks bolt through the tabs to the cross rails). The floor extends beneath the captains boxes, and is cinched up tight to their bottoms. This results in a Nice secure platform.
That's basically what I do with my floor, as well. It is a full 8' long plywood floor, and is suspended from the frame by rope or straps, the straps holding down the cooler and dry box, keep it from hanging down, if I go upside down. I have holes in the plywood floor for straps to hold in a rocket on each side of me, and I do the same for rockets forward of my dry box, plus behind the cooler I sit on, just strapped down to the drop floor.

I really like this set up, and it is super solid. I think it adds rigidity to my boat, to. I had an old guide tell me once, that when a boat hits a feature, and flexes, the following rebound increases that chance of it flipping. I believe there may be something to that, and a good solid, packed tight boat, seems to do really well for me.
Old 06-17-2019   #7

, Idaho
I'm wondering how thick your plywood is and how much room you give it on the sides? Thanks.
alisonmw is offline   Reply With Quote