Ideas for Making a Raft Trailer Roller Bar? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-17-2009   #1

Ideas for Making a Raft Trailer Roller Bar?

So many creative and talented people on this forum...any ideas for making a roller bar for my raft trailer using hardware store products? I have viewed the links to nice products with sealed bearings and etc. but want to know if anyone has fabricated a roller bar from scratch?

14khkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009   #2

Edwards, Colorado
I use a sled trailer for dual season purposes. A few years ago I built a hardware store product roller by using 1" pipe, threaded on both ends and connected to flanged elbows. I slid a 1" PVC pipe over the steel pipe before assembly and then screwed the flanges to the trailer. The long length of free rolling PVC meant the raft had to be lined up pretty straight to slide up onto the trailer in the right position. There's an easy solution to that, use several shorter pieces of PVC. But after one season the whole thing was bent and busted. It just wasn't beefy enough. Bigger diameter pipe would work better. But I scrapped it in favor of the rollers and got great results.

My suggestion is to order four or five (depends on width of your trailer) 17" rollers from Northern Tool Supply and mount them onto a 1"x6". Then bolt that assembly to the trailer. Works great, is bomber and is still fairly cheap. With the hand winch I can easily trailer my fully loaded raft by myself. The assembly detaches/attaches easily to convert back and forth from sleds to raft.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I did the Northern Tool method. It's cheap, and works great:
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009   #4

El Flaco...that is just so handsome! I can actually get the rollers from Amazon for almost free, as I have a stack of rewards coupons on my desk. Perks for being such an avid reader. How is there enough time to read that much and raft too??? I never sleep?

Have you had any problem with wet and crud messing with the inside componets of your roller?
14khkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
That is sweet, great solution to be able to multi task the trailer also. Good to know when friends are looking to do the same.
Old 05-05-2009   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
How to find the rollerbars?

Hey El Flaco,
I've googled a bunch but I can't seem to find the roller bars as pictured. How / what did you refer to them as to find them at Northern Tool?

-Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post
I did the Northern Tool method. It's cheap, and works great:
Big Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Northern Industrial Roller and Bracket Set | Roller Supports | Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 05-05-2009   #8

Golden, Colorado
I think these are the same ones I have, although mine might have been closer to 20" (from memory).
Northern Industrial Roller and Bracket Set | Roller Supports | Northern Tool + Equipment

I have the trailer parked at a farm, so I can't measure them til I pick it up.
Old 05-05-2009   #9

Golden, Colorado
Damn Thumper- you draw quick!

14khkr- I haven't had a problem with the rollers getting rusted or stuck yet, but I don't leave that roller attachment on the trailer year-round. It secures to the back as a 1 piece bracket, and I can put them in the garage when I use it for hauling crap besides the raft.
Old 05-05-2009   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post
Damn Thumper- you draw quick!
Might have to do with the lack of explanation on my part, eh?

BTW, thanks for the great ideas on the trailer, I'm working on getting my first inflatable rig up-n-runnin'.

Tags
rafting