I need to weld up a roll bar - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-07-2017   #1

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
I need to weld up a roll bar

I want to make a full length roll bar for my trailer. It's a utility trailer with two decks over the cargo area.

Anyone, have any suggestions? I was thinking of using some galvanized pipe with discs welded over the ends and center drilling a hole. And welding that onto the back of the trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1494217469.958109.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	17986Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1494217513.600366.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	17994

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I did steel plumbing pipe with roller bearings installed in the ends. using gate hinges for the bearings to roll on. the only difference in my trailer and yours, is my boards go cross wise across the trailer. (got everything from the Ace Hardware in Nampa) except the bearings, I ordered them from Amazon - since we're neighbors, I'd be happy to help.
Old 05-07-2017   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've seen a single roller across a trailer warp and then become useless. If you put a bar across with a PVC sleeve about 1/4" larger than the bar the PVC will still turn even if the bar warps.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
I have what you seek...

Trailer Roller End bearings (Set=2) | Whitewater Worthy

I can send you a set of the UHMW end caps and you can source the pipe locally. They are 3.5" diameter so they don't warp

My prototypes were a metal disc welded to the outer pipe but they were supper noisy. Good to clear a ramp but...
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017   #5

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you decide that the solid bar across isn't what you want, you could go this route.

C.E. Smith Roller Bracket Assembly | Bass Pro Shops

I do want to put one note out there speaking from experience - because your deck is so high you will end up almost putting your boat vertical in order to get it on top with any kind of roller system.
Old 05-09-2017   #6

Nampa, Idaho
Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
I have what you seek...

Trailer Roller End bearings (Set=2) | Whitewater Worthy

I can send you a set of the UHMW end caps and you can source the pipe locally. They are 3.5" diameter so they don't warp

My prototypes were a metal disc welded to the outer pipe but they were supper noisy. Good to clear a ramp but...
Those bearings look good. Where do you get 3.5" emt from?
Old 05-09-2017   #7

Nampa, Idaho
Also,
I read on here that roll bars can cause wear holes in raft tubes while trailering. I have lived in terror of this happening since I read this. I even altered the roll bar of my other raft trailer so I could slide the roll bar down and out of the way during trailering. But, I see other people that have the raft touching the the roll bar. Heck, I have even seen one guy who had 4 roll bars on the bed of his trailer and that is what the raft rested on. How, big a problem is this? Is this a Myth or is it busted?
Old 05-09-2017   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've been thinking about doing a roller bar, or maybe the rubber bass pro ones linked above, that mount to the top of the closed tail gate.

This would put them way at the back and raised a little , then you could deploy the gate half way down, to get the rollers at a better starting height. Anyone played with this design?

My side walls put my deck about 42" off the street, if I had to guess.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017   #9
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
Also,
I read on here that roll bars can cause wear holes in raft tubes while trailering. I have lived in terror of this happening since I read this. I even altered the roll bar of my other raft trailer so I could slide the roll bar down and out of the way during trailering. But, I see other people that have the raft touching the the roll bar. Heck, I have even seen one guy who had 4 roll bars on the bed of his trailer and that is what the raft rested on. How, big a problem is this? Is this a Myth or is it busted?
my raft sits on the roller bar while traveling. but the raft doesn't make contact with the ends of the bar, which is the only place I would see a potential problem occuring. the bar itself is round and smooth, not sure it could really cause a problem. my bar is longer than my raft is wide and I did that on purpose so that the raft wouldn't touch the ends.
Old 05-10-2017   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Both of the rafts I've trailered extensively show evidence of wear from contacting the roller. I've since changed the roller position and height to avoid more wear on my newer boat.

My old hypalon boat actually needed a preventative patch from roller contact. My new urethane boat just shows a tiny bit of wear (no longer shiny over a small area.

The roller lightly touched the tubes, so it's possible that it would spin or the boats would bounce/slide up and down on the roller, thus abraiding the tubes, but the wear is definitely there. The hypalon boat had over 100k on a trailer, but the urethane probably has 6 to 8k on it. In both cases the roller wear is the only trailer related wear I've ever noticed. I can't say I'm a big fan of a bunch of rollers sitting under my boat, but I've never tried it. Maybe my problem was too light of contact? Who knows? That's just my experience over the last 2 decades of trailering boats.

Edit to clarify: My roller was wider than both boats too... And the bar actually had the galvi worn off where it contacted the tubes of the hypalon boat. Some of that could have been worn when in operation rolling the boat on and off the trailer, but I viewed it as evidence of wear when on the road... FWIW