Hyside Urethane repair - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-01-2017   #1

North Central, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1998
Hyside Urethane repair

Long time reader barely ever poster here. I've got a 90's model hyside that I was convinced was due for retirement. I filled er up the other day and to my surprise/delight raggedy anne didn't look near as bad as I remembered. I suppose this could be due to my lack of funds to replace the rubber with anything other than a "budget" boat at the moment and some river permits for the summer. Anyway, I digress.

Basically, the boat shows wear and tear like you'd expect from twenty plus years of use. There are numerous patches on the floor, fraying/threads showing in various areas, and chafed spots that need some wear protection. It's a bucket boat and all the patchwork was done by previous owners. I'm not sure if there were leaks or just wear.

I've been looking to polish her up and I've concluded that a urethane coating on the underside is what I need to do since that's where 99% of the problems are. I feel like urethane is a good option since there aren't any air leak issues. My questions are:

Would you urethane over the chafe protection on the bucket floor, or pull the patches/clean and then urethane? I'm leaning toward pulling patches since its not an air leak issue. Should I urethane both sides of the floor?

I'm also going to urethane over the seam tape on the bottom half of the tubes.

I'm looking into the system 6 urethane. Any other recommendations?

I could use any advice on urethane application to a hypalon boat. I'd like to wrap my head around possibilities before I start dropping money and time into the project.

Dsuth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I'm a huge fan of the System 6 (and equivalent) urethane coatings. I watched as my first boat got through impossible situations without a puncture. For my boat I reinforced any areas of concern with patches, pulled all of the old patches and welded/glued them new, cleaned the crap out of the entire boat and applied the urethane over everything including the chaffe.

Spraying urethane is dangerous and requries a lot of specialized equipment so I rolled mine.

My only complaint was the expense. At the end I can't entirely say it was worth it.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #3

Thanks for the info. I'm going to remove and replace patches that are pulling up and then urethane over with a roller. I watched the system 6 videos, so have an okay idea of how I gotta go about it.

The price is pretty high. But I don't get out on the Rio as much as I once did and I'd rather put $250 into repairs than $4K+ into a new boat right now. I will document how it goes. I'm hoping to start the job this weekend. I have a lot of prep work to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017   #4

Bismarck, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
I am going to follow this thread. I just purchased an older Hyside with same issues, holds air great but chafers are pealing off. I created a thread about using a Linex coating to replace the chafers, but think I posted in the wrong area. I will look into the system 6 urethane system. Look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
balut45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #5

One of the downsides of the system 6 is that it uses different primers for different material. From what I understand the black colored chafers on a hyside can be urethane, the other material as we know is hypalon. This puts you into the situation where you have to buy different kits which starts to get costly. My plan is to urethane over the hypalon sections of concern and then urethane over urethane (including some of the recently added urethane).

I'm kind of on the fence on whether or not the cost is worth it. It'll really come down to how well it cleans the boat up. I have some other repairs to do too ( replace old valve boots). I'm basically looking at it as an opportunity to gain some knowledge in repair/refurbishing too. I will try to post some play by play pictures.

Even If I were to buy a new boat I feel like this boat still has some good life left. I'm dang close to pulling the trigger on an Aire 136 DD.
Old 04-04-2017   #6

Sheridan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Hysides built prior to 2000 used rubber blend chafers on the bottom. Pick a little piece off, if it feels like rubber then the hypalon primer will work just fine on it and the rest of the boat (same prep required).

Hyside did not start using urethane until 2000, when they did, it was usually blue on blue boats and black on every other color of raft.

If you do peel the patches off of the standard floor you'll want to flip it upside down and check to see if you can see light through any of those areas. The urethane will likely fill the holes, but if you have larger holes you'll need to patch them first prior to the urethane, then just urethane the bottom of the floor.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2017   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'm usually a DIY kinda guy, but if I ever do a Urethane coating I'll take it to a professional (like the guy in the previous post). I don't think its much more expensive for most of the guys who do it and they have all the equipment and expertise to apply it correctly.

I haven't tried to do it myself though. I know my Avon had it done to it before I bought it, and they applied a second coat over the seams and its pealing off now. There is still the base coat though so it seems to be fine. They only did the tubes though, so I'm thinking about getting the floor done too now.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #8

Repairs, I appreciate the the tips.

Electric, I'm sure a pro would do a much better job. The boat needs a lot of little things and I figured labor would add up fast. I never did get a quote.

From what I've been reading, seems like the big thing with urethane is doing good prep work and curing it in a controlled environment (shop or garage). Of course you gotta get a good mix etc etc. It will be trial by fire for sure. I'm planning on starting with some small things to figure out if it's something I should fully attempt or not. I haven't ordered enough urethane to take on the whole floor.
Old 04-04-2017   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
It's not difficult at all and even though the material is WAY expensive I saved about half according to the estimates I received. The key is to 1. have it COMPLETELY clean. 2 abrade the substrate very well. This will ensure the best adhesion. I used a "no texture" roller and the results were great. Wish to hell I still had some pics.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote