hyside rafts for family first time boat owner - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2011   #1

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
hyside rafts for family first time boat owner

I've heard hysides are great all around boats. any real problems/concerns with them from anybody out there?

meanjoebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Nope. Assuming you've chosen a boat in good condition, and chosen the appropriate material/series and size for your use, you can trust the brand's reputation for excellent boats that are relatively easy to repair and last for generations.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #3
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
why skip out on SOTAR? Ya live right next to the factory. If anything were to ever happen in the next 6 years, you can drive over to SOTAR and shuve it. well you know. It would cost you $200 shipping just to get any warrenty work done at a hyside suggested repair center. $50 to drive to SOTAR and have lunch and a beer. Don't get me wrong hysides are great boats. But why pass five milk farms to get your milk? SOTAR builds rafts with the same quallity as hyside and in your back yard. IMHO, any welded boat is superior to any glued hyplon boat. there has to be value in that. do you really want to call hyside get a RA, ship your boat frieght, and go without your $4.5K boat for a month durring floating season? or would your rather drive to sotar and have them fix ya up real good. just saying.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I love my Hyside. They make top quality boats and are used by a good number of commercial outfitters.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #5

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I agree with the Sotar angle but I'm looking at a used hyside package for what seems to be far less dough than a Sotar . Not in a huge hurry so I might keep my fingers crossed for a Sotar.
meanjoebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
If it's a Hyside Rio Bravo edition here are Randaddy's thoughts in the thread below, of course we've had our floating garbage for several years now and had to repair it once - due to lack of care not anything the river did to it.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ity-23430.html
Old 08-31-2011   #7
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanjoebean View Post
I agree with the Sotar angle but I'm looking at a used hyside package for what seems to be far less dough than a Sotar . Not in a huge hurry so I might keep my fingers crossed for a Sotar.
I'm a maraiva-aire fan (i live close by) any way did ya check out the sotar "hot sheet" these boats tend to go on sale in the spring time and you can take a couple bills off the listed price.

Sales Hotsheet | SOTAR
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #8

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Put me down also as a very satisfied Hyside owner since the end of 2001. I use it a lot and because of proper maintenance and anal care while in use, people say it looks new. However, up close you can see a few nicks and stains on the rubber.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
They are all good boats. However, when one gos flat, the urethanes and the PVC boats are back on the river in 1/2 hour. The patching of hypalon take time. Urethane boats have better longevity than hypalon ...pound for pound.
Old 10-08-2011   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by garystrome View Post
They are all good boats. However, when one gos flat, the urethanes and the PVC boats are back on the river in 1/2 hour. The patching of hypalon take time. Urethane boats have better longevity than hypalon ...pound for pound.
God bless plastics and their glues--they really do work quickly and are unbelievably strong. Just don't expect a lifetime out of these repairs.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote