Hypalon repair question - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2016   #1

Avon, Connecticut
Hypalon repair question

I've got a NRS Otter that has an area on the bottom of the self bailing floor that is worn down to the scrim. It also leaks a bit of air from this spot causing the floor to go soft in about 30 minutes. The worn area is about 1 inch diameter.

I know the drill for patching over intact hypalon coated areas, but I'm not sure what special steps are needed when patching over scrim, especially involving an air leak, as now I've got to get this airtight with a well adhered patch to the fabric core rather than rubber. Do conventional patching methods work on scrim?

I've searched the forum but didn't seem to find much on this particular issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

avonraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2016   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I would do a coat or two extra on the scrim to build it up a little. The glue will soak into the scrim a little more than it would the rubber so an extra layer or two would be best. Multiple thin coats are better than thick ones. Not sure what glue you are using but Stabond bonds excellent to scrim.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #3

Avon, Connecticut
Thanks for the reply. I was planning on using Clifton with the catalyst added.
avonraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017   #4

Salida, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I am curious how this worked out for you as I have a similar wear spot on my avon adventurer. It leaks air and the threads are showing.

Would you recommend thin layers of Cliftons + accel as stated? Would you do anything differently?

I have read aquaseal can work as well on the threads. Which do you think is the better option?

Thoughts on this patch repair and prep for the scrim are appreciated.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Water in the Scrim?

Hey ZB (or any other glue sniffers out there),

I've got a little nick in the underside of my Vanguard where there's some scrim showing and was wondering:
  • If water gets into the scrim and doesn't have a long time to dry out, will the moisture in there increase the chance of delaminating the fabric if it gets sealed into the scrim?
  • And - once water has gotten in there, will it ever be able to dry out even with a few months for the moisture to diffuse out?

Thanks,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 91'
Rough everything up a bit with 120 grit...ish before you apply the adhesive.
rubtheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think you're on the right track - layers of glue first, then patch over the top. I've got a late 90's Hyside that has several patches like this on it. Although to be frank I've just done the two layers of glue on the boat and patch and then applied the patch. It has worked well for me.

If you have actual delamination going on (doesn't sound like you do) then it is a different problem altogether.