Hypalon gluing questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-03-2019   #1

Calgary, Alberta
Hypalon gluing questions

1. Why does clifton hypalon glue need 3 coats when they're urethane glue only needs 2, and other hypalon adhesives often only state 2 coats?

2. I assume the knuckle test is the true indication of the readiness for the next coat, and not the amount of time?

3. If I just wanted to do a wear patch, is there any reason I couldn't get away with 1 coat?

That glue is expensive!

I put 3 d rings on yesterday (did 3 coats and used the accelerator as recommended) and used a 4 oz can.

I also glued down a couple of old lifting corners from a couple of d rings with 1 coat and that held well.

cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019   #2

Calgary, Alberta
Bump... Anyone have any input?
Old 05-06-2019   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
Are you thinning the glue?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019   #4

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Are you thinning the glue?
No... I followed the instructions on the NRS website.

Well, I found the glue to go to the tacky stage faster than I expected.
Old 05-06-2019   #5
"Just Read and Run Baby!"

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
$

You'll need to buy another can right? It's all about the money.
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019   #6

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by followthebubbleline View Post
You'll need to buy another can right? It's all about the money.
So does that mean you do only 2 coats?
Old 05-06-2019   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The knuckle test is what you want, time is only a rough guideline to when the glue is at the tacking-ness of the knuckle test.

I have always been a fan of thinning down the glue with toluene a little bit, and I think NRS even says it’s an option. The One time I tried with accelerant and no thinning, it just got gloppy way to fast, and did a crappy job.
Part of what you are after with using an adhesive, is a thin, even coating on both surfaces, and not having it be like snot bugers, really helps with that!

Not really sure how well fewer coats will work, I used to only apply two coats, back in the day, and granted I wasn’t very good at glue work back then, my patches did have a tendency to fail.
Old 05-06-2019   #8

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
3M 1357 Contact Adhesive no mixing, just a quart of glue. Clean your wear patch and ruff it up with sandpaper, do the same to your boat surface about 1/8 inch larger than your ware patch area. Mix your 3M with toluene on a ratio 1 to 4. Take a paint brush and wipe the ware patch area and boat area with just toluene. Than take your mixture of glue and toluene and put a light even coat of glue on patch and boat, let this coat dry completely, this will create an additional layer to your boat and patch. Than apply another thin layer of glue and toluene mixture to your
boat and patch. You don't have to wait for it to get tacky, just place it on your boat, this way you have more wiggle room, if it is not placed exactly where you want it, work the patch down and let it dry. I have used this method on my boats in the past. Or you can use your 3 coat method, what ever method you feel comfortable with, it is up to you.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019   #9

Calgary, Alberta
Matt man...

My glue did get gloppy pretty much right away, like you described. I did manage to get thin coats on by using a 1.5" brush to spread it around and the d rings seem well bonded.

How much toluene do you use to thin clifton? I imagine you don't want to use too much or risk damaging the boat?