How to deal with outboard on self bailer? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-21-2017   #1

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
How to deal with outboard on self bailer?

I've a 14 ft Maravia with laced in floor & center oarframe. Lot of rocker fore and aft. Have a tube-mounted strap-on transom and 75 lb outboard 15 hp motor. The issues: heavy motor and driver sink the stern, making water flow in through laces and sinking it more...and worse when power applied. Happens also with lighter motors down to 4 hp. Also concerned about stressing seams. What is the answer? Thanks for helping.

psheya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
The answer is a smaller motor. Sell the 15hp and get something smaller.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017   #3

buckeye, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
i have wondered if a piece of urethane cut to size that is draped under and then secured at the front and sides of the boat would keep water out of the laces... just a thought
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
A 15 horse is too much for a 14', that size motor is more compatible with an 18' raft, or could be ok on a 16'. I would not go more than 10 hp for that size boat, you would be fine with less.
What happens to the angle of the motor when you apply throttle? Is the foot of the motor kind of sucking down and forward? Since you are having problems with a smaller motor ( 4 hp is not to big at all) I am wondering if the angle is part of the problem, especially with a strapon mount, the the motor could be rotating down, instead of really pushing the boat forward like it should. That would explain some of the water being pulled into your stern.

You may be able to fix this by securing a block in between the motor and the hull, or better yet, a transom that bolts to the frame. Is the rocker of the stern flexing down significantly?

Short answer is probly better transom, and smaller motor.
Old 02-21-2017   #5

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Try the NRS motor mount that attaches to the frame with a lighter motor.

It seems like doing that puts way less pressure on that rear tube. The frame mount transfers it to the frame. Of course spending nearly $400 bucks on something that you hope will work is a bummer if it doesn't.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Jackass. (Literally, not you...) ..and not more than 5 hp LONG SHAFT.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Ya, a Jackass would be SWEET.
I have been using a friends NRS motor mount, and it is nice.
Old 02-22-2017   #8
rafter

Bend, N'A
My friend Hank unlaced a couple feet of floor in the stern of his boat and, folded the floor over, inflated the floor. And mounted the engine inside the boat. It worked quite well.
rioperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017   #9

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I agree that the issue is likely the strapon transom, all the weight of the motor and driver is sitting on the very end of your tube, with nothing to distribute that weight forward. Having a frame connection changes the pivot point of the boat and spreads the load to the frame. Since the whole front of the boat will have to come up to allow the stern to drop, you end up with a lot less vertical flex. The new NRS saxophone motor mount performed great for me, it connects to the frame but also levers against the back tube, which means even less deflection on the stern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160723_134204.jpg (1.55 MB, 123 views)
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017   #10

Send a message via AIM to mprobst Send a message via MSN to mprobst
I have seen some rafts on the lower snake where they have built a motor mount that looks like an extension of the rear crossbar of the frame sticking out a foot from the side of the raft, and the motor mounted on that, but they were 4 or 5 HP motors, not 15. and they only used it for motoring in flatwater where quick moves were not needed. looked fine for motoring out below the confluence with the salmon, but not sure how fun it would be to have to actually steer a lot with that set up. best setup I saw with this was two boats with motors on opposite sides, so one just throttles down to make course corrections.
mprobst is offline   Reply With Quote