How high should the FirePan be elevated? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-21-2013   #1
OC1Rolls

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
How high should the FirePan be elevated?

I am trying to figure out how high to elevate my firepan. Is a 4" height off the ground enough? I bolted 3 license plates together and used some old drape brackets to elevate it. Surprisingly sturdy and it comes apart for easy storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (9).JPG
Views:	244
Size:	657.3 KB
ID:	6907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Firepan elevate.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	711.8 KB
ID:	6908  

OC1Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013   #2

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
I got a great idea from a coworker for a fire pan. I used a hog feeding pan and some legs from an old wood burning stove. The legs were connected with a nut, bolt and washer through holes drilled in the bottom of the pan. I topped the pan with an old grill. It weighs less than 10 lbs or so

The ranger at the Lodore put in also said that a "soda" can is exactly 4" and would meet requirements... but I'm not sure I believe that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fire pan.png
Views:	456
Size:	759.4 KB
ID:	6909  
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #3
OC1Rolls

Salt Lake City, Utah
Nice setup mcfarrel.
I have the firepan part...just working on a compact stand that will not scorch the earth. I will mainly be using it for aesthetic campfires and possibly some dutch oven containment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	firepan.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	510.2 KB
ID:	6910  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Here is my fire pan set-up. The idea came from another MB member. It's the Partner Steel compact fire pan, with 1 inch nuts welded to all four corners of the female side, and the outer corners of the male side. 4 inch long, lag bolts for the legs. Unscrew the legs and pack them away, and the fire pan compacts to a 15 X 13.5 size. The fire pan weighs 15 lb. and expands to a 13.5 X 25 X 3.25 size. Works great. Very stable, and with the fire blanket underneath there is no problem with the legs in sand. Since I don't weld, and I wanted it done right, I ordered the fire pan from Partner and had them weld the nuts on in the proper positions. Cost $60 shipped from Partner.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #5

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
I like the partner pan idea too. I have to put my leftover coals into another container but with that setup you could just put them in the male side and then close the female on top to contain them.

Also to get to the question OC1Rolls asked... I would think that with a fire blanket 4" is tall enough to avoid scorching the ground below the pan
mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC1Rolls View Post
I am trying to figure out how high to elevate my firepan. Is a 4" height off the ground enough? I bolted 3 license plates together and used some old drape brackets to elevate it. Surprisingly sturdy and it comes apart for easy storage.
That's the dumbest [email protected]#$ing thing i've ever seen. You're joking, right?
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarrel View Post
I like the partner pan idea too. I have to put my leftover coals into another container but with that setup you could just put them in the male side and then close the female on top to contain them.

Also to get to the question OC1Rolls asked... I would think that with a fire blanket 4" is tall enough to avoid scorching the ground below the pan
It works really well to snuff out the coals, and also protects from a muddy mess if you leave it out over night and it rains. Another nice thing it that you can alter the size of the fire pan to suit the number & size of dutch ovens in use. This makes it more efficient with the heat from the coals. With the 4 inch legs and the fire blanket I've not seen any scorching. This fire pan is half the weight of the big fire pans with the fancy legs, and costs a fraction of what they cost. If you like to grill, just buy a light weight cheapo grill top and lay it on top of the fire pan, works great.

My friends just borrowed my fire pan for a GC trip. It should meet the regs, as it is over 300 sq. inches, has a lip over 3 inches, and has manufactured legs. We shall see if it passes, and how it holds up when they get back. I have seen a commercially produced fire pan with the same legs, that's 19 X 18 inches, doesn't compact, and cost over $200.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarrel View Post
Agreed. I actually really like the license plate idea. That would work great for kayak self-support... the only issue I have is lack of a lip.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #9

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I don't think that license plate platform would pass by any ranger.
Old 08-21-2013   #10
OC1Rolls

Salt Lake City, Utah
Yeah. Maybe I could upgrade to better riser brackets. The jenky drape brackets was an attempt to recycle, reuse, renew some parts I had laying around.
Or maybe weld some nuts on the bottom of my round firepan like Cataraftgirl has. Those lag bolts look simple enough. I'll use a welding blanket underneath.