How do you guys fasten a knife to PFDs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-24-2013   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
How do you guys fasten a knife to PFDs?

So, dvor.com had the CRKT Bear Claw knives for $23 and I picked up a few to fasten to our PFDs(and have a spare). I have a Patagonia PFD w/ the asymmetrical zipper. I don't recall the model. The lash tab is in a weird location and I was planning on fasten the sheath to the left shoulder strap. The knife is really secure in the sheath. I will need to really secure the sheath to the strap to pull the knife out if need be. A velcro strap around/thru the sheath doesn't seem like the way to go and sewing it on could be an issue w/ certain LEO types. What to do?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Tom

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Luckily my lash tab is on the left upper chest area. I use the Velcro strap through & around the sheath method with no problems. My Bearclaw has never come out by accident, but doesn't require a huge amount of pull to get it out. Putting it on a shoulder strap might be more of a challenge to get it tight enough. I remember an add on lash tab that you could attach to the shoulder strap with a Velcro strap, but I haven't seen one in awhile. Can you sew a lash tab onto the PFD?
Old 12-24-2013   #3

Park City, Utah
Weell....I'm a little lacking in the sewing dept. Give me a carbide tipped blade on just about any power tool and I got it covered, but I can't see how one could sew a lash tab onto an existing PFD. At least as HD as it would need to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Don't sew anything to onto you're PFD. It invalidates the coast guard cert and is it will become ineligible for permitted trips.

I use an elastic hair tie girth hitched. Easily breaks in a single purposeful motion, but keeps the knife from falling out under normal situations. Had it dangle when climbing back into rafts, but works great in a kayak.
Old 12-24-2013   #5

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Glue a lash tab on. They are pretty darn permanent.
Old 12-24-2013   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've had good luck using heavy-duty zip ties to secure my Bear Claw sheath to my PFD. I don't use anything to help keep the knife in the sheath...
Old 12-24-2013   #7
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
A good deal on a knife is nice, but I wouldn't try to make it work if you can't easily fasten it to your PFD without mods to your PFD. I bought a knife that fit easily to my PFD, it was a good fit. The design of the sheath fits my PFD, and positions my knife with my PFD's design well. I'd recommend getting a knife that does the same.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #8

Park City, Utah
Thanks all. It's not the knife. The Bear Claw is a pretty compact knife that seems to be pretty secure in the HD plastic sheath. I've seen post on MB about other brands of knives falling out of the sheath. Don't think it's much of a problem with this one.

The lash tab is a little too low on the PFD and my left hand on the oar hit the larger dive knife I used before. I may try putting the BC on there and see how it works. I've never planned on modifying the PFD for the obvious reasons. Fastening it to the shoulder strap would be the optimum location IMO.
Old 12-25-2013   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
Thanks all. It's not the knife. The Bear Claw is a pretty compact knife that seems to be pretty secure in the HD plastic sheath. I've seen post on MB about other brands of knives falling out of the sheath. Don't think it's much of a problem with this one.

The lash tab is a little too low on the PFD and my left hand on the oar hit the larger dive knife I used before. I may try putting the BC on there and see how it works. I've never planned on modifying the PFD for the obvious reasons. Fastening it to the shoulder strap would be the optimum location IMO.
How happy are you with your PFD? Is it older, and maybe in need of replacement soon? I know what you mean about lash tabs in weird locations. Makes it hard to secure your knife without it being in the way. I love the Bear Claw knife. The finger hole is very handy and the knife does stay put in the sheath quite well. I'd say, try the lash tab, and if it doesn't feel right then zip tie to the shoulder strap to see if it's too loose there. Otherwise, you kind of have to either live with it or get a new PFD ? Maybe a late Christmas present to yourself?
Old 12-25-2013   #10

Boulder, Colorado
I love the bear claw for a rescue knife. That said I had to make modifications to help it stay in place like drew said zip ties are easy and work well or you can get creative to keep the sheath attached. I have lost 2 bear claws out of the sheath, one running a 40 foot waterfall and another climbing around to scout and caught it on a rock the right way and into the river it fell. I now run a stretchy cord through the finger hole then stretch it up over the top of the sheath, this way you put down then up to get the leash off and the knife is functional.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote