How do you estimate needed groover capacity? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-24-2014   #1

TV, Idaho
How do you estimate needed groover capacity?

Do any of you use some sort or formula to determine how much groover capacity you need for a group trip?

Thanks in advance.

M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Calculate the number of user days on the trip: users x days on the river = user days

The manufacturer should state a number of user days the groover is designed for.

If you don't have that info or if you're justy using rocket boxes, consider that the standard Eco-Safe tank that fits inside a rocket box has something like a 55-user day capacity.

Does this help?

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #3

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Figure 1 use to 1.5 use per person per day. ECO Safe say they are 50 use capacity. Done. Use a stick to push "it" down and dont pee too much into the tank.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014   #4

TV, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Calculate the number of user days on the trip: users x days on the river = user days

The manufacturer should state a number of user days the groover is designed for.

If you don't have that info or if you're justy using rocket boxes, consider that the standard Eco-Safe tank that fits inside a rocket box has something like a 55-user day capacity.

Does this help?

-AH
Yes. I didn't notice that "rating" on the eco-safe. It actually says "good for approx. 50 uses." SO...50 uses is a little vague. That would assume about .11 gallons per "use." Maybe I could just figure that each person needs .2 gallons of space per day.
Old 01-24-2014   #5

TV, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanji View Post
Figure 1 use to 1.5 use per person per day. ECO Safe say they are 50 use capacity. Done. Use a stick to push "it" down and dont pee too much into the tank.
Sounds good. I'm looking at the bucket options, but this will really help to estimate the quantity of poo.

Thank you, folks.
Old 01-24-2014   #6

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanji View Post
We do somewhere between 1-1.5 uses per person per day. Depends on the group and the menu. Assume higher and don't hesitate to carry an extra tank. Putting the deodorizer and microbes in the tank with water a little earlier seems to help break it down.

I find the people who use the stick method don't clean the tanks out much. Plus, what then do you do with the poo stick? My guess is most people just toss 'em nearby camp = defeats the purpose of carrying out feces. Can't believe people still do this considering the consistent outbreaks we are seeing on rivers the last decade.

Nothing worse than cleaning out a overfilled tank that some dude (I would wager its almost always a guy) crammed solid with a stick. Watching that exit tube bulge as the pressure builds up is not an experience you want to duplicate. A close second for offenders is filling the tank with wet wipes and bleach wipes.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #7

TV, Idaho
You know in my camper, I have a little portable toilet like this: Porta Potti Portable Toilets - 260B - Thetford 92859 - Portable Toilets - Camping World

I use generous amounts of the liquid Aqua-Kem and quick dissolve RV toilet paper. Dumping that little tank is always a breeze. Everything breaks down into a very easy to dump liquid. For my boat's toilet, I'll use the same TP and chemical. The dry stuff doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 01-24-2014   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
I would not put those liquid chemicals into a rocket box system. You may not like the results. We can get about 65 uses into a rocket box typically.
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #9

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
I find the people who use the stick method don't clean the tanks out much. Plus, what then do you do with the poo stick? My guess is most people just toss 'em nearby camp = defeats the purpose of carrying out feces. Can't believe people still do this considering the consistent outbreaks we are seeing on rivers the last decade.

Nothing worse than cleaning out a overfilled tank that some dude (I would wager its almost always a guy) crammed solid with a stick. Watching that exit tube bulge as the pressure builds up is not an experience you want to duplicate. A close second for offenders is filling the tank with wet wipes and bleach wipes. Phillip
When using the stick I still dont fill the tank up to cramed full, I just use it to "arrange" the contents if they are piling up toward the inlet in a pyramid form if you will.
I guess I clean my tanks out as much as the next guy.... after every trip dont see what using a stick has to do with how much the tank gets cleaned out?? Said stick when used which isnt everyday, gets broken down and the contaminated few inches of it is then put into a trash which goes into a rocket box. Leave not trace at its finest, I mean its not rocket science.
I store the tank with some chemicals in it when not in use and it smells just fine the next time out. I also deodorize and clean the rocket box. Happy Grooving.
Old 01-24-2014   #10

TV, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Guide View Post
I would not put those liquid chemicals into a rocket box system. You may not like the results. We can get about 65 uses into a rocket box typically.
Do you mind elaborating on why?