Hot tent with a wood stove. - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2015   #1

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Hot tent with a wood stove.

I have been looking at getting one of the bigger outfitter tents with a wood stove for my hunting trips with larger groups. So far Cabelas Alaknak 12x20' is the favorite, but all of the hunting tents I am looking at are too intensive to set up day afer day on a river trip.

While doing my research I came across an old thread on the buzz about floorless twnts with stoves here: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f15/floorless-tents-and-wood-stoves-rafters-need-to-get-on-board-40730-4.html

Since I will already have the stove I am thinking a second hot tent for river use might be in order. Being in the PNW I would prefer to have a floor because it is pretty much garuanteed there will be rain.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tents with floorsto use with a wood stove?

Kyle

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015   #2

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have ne experiece with theis tent but I noticed this tent in my last cabelas flyer.. It is a cool grand though.. Cabela's Instinctâ„¢ Outfitter Tent : Cabela's
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
I have been looking at getting one of the bigger outfitter tents with a wood stove for my hunting trips with larger groups. So far Cabelas Alaknak 12x20' is the favorite, but all of the hunting tents I am looking at are too intensive to set up day afer day on a river trip.

While doing my research I came across an old thread on the buzz about floorless twnts with stoves here: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...d-40730-4.html

Since I will already have the stove I am thinking a second hot tent for river use might be in order. Being in the PNW I would prefer to have a floor because it is pretty much garuanteed there will be rain.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tents with floorsto use with a wood stove?

Kyle
I started the thread you reference. Rain is even a better reason not to have a floor, think cot yo! Tents with wood stoves are game changer for winter mutliday in my opinion. Big groups suck, get a smaller tent that is easier to setup.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I would be in the minority I'm sure but I use an alaska tent and tarp Arktika for all my winter camping/cold weather/big group stuff. Been in lots of tents and it is without question the best out there but you pay for it. The thing can withstand a hurricane, will stay hot in -30 weather, and you will never ever ever have condensation develop. Very easy to setup but somewhat heavy and expensive.

On a sidenote it has bathtub floors that never let in water. Have kept it on top of 10 feet of snow for a week with a stove inside and never had any water issues.
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #5
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I loved Shapp's thread linked above. I dreamed for weeks of a kni-co stove setup in a Mountain Hardwear space station. I would stress too much over sparks, though.

I have come to enjoy BD megamid floorless tents for snow camping. Probe a deep spot, measure 9' x 9', dig down leaving a small pillar in the middle and benches around the edge. Bring several cheapo closed cell foam pads.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #6

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
I really like my 12'x12' alaknak. It will sleep 3 with cots and a stove. 60 mph winds and 8 inches of snow last season and no issues.

It takes me 30 minutes to setup by myself and 15 to 20 with 2 guys. Not sure about the 12x20 though. One thing to keep in mind is the space it would take. My tent has 5 bags. 1 tent 2vestibule 3 poles 4 stakes 5 fly 6 possibly...the floor protector. A 12x20 would take a lot more room. I'd say you'd need a big Raft to haul a 12x20, stove, cots etc...
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #7

Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
Consider a silnylon tipi. I have an 8 man from Seek Outside that I have used on everything from river trips to backpacking to cross country ski trips. Will fit 3 cots and gear or my family of 9 on the ground. This is it on the banks of the Selway and again in the back country of the Clearwater Range.

mountaindocdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
^^^that's freakin cool!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #9

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
I have a 4 man Seek Outside tent and a large size titanium stove. The the tent and stove weigh around 10 lbs. Easy to set up and pack. Nice to get up in the morning to a warm tent and hot water for drinks. You can use a tarp for a floor but I usually don't. I like it a lot!
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #10

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I've been looking at silnylon tipis and lightweight stoves for awhile from Kaifaru, Seek Outside, Wyo-(something?), TiGoat etc.

The people I know use them for winter trips and prefer the floorless in wet environments. They say they get super hot and stuff dries very quickly inside. Those big heavy outfitter tents are just too much to deal with IMO unless it's a long term trip or stored away at the location at which you will be using it.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote