Homebuilt Dry Box Lid Ideas - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-27-2015   #1

Gillette, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2003
Homebuilt Dry Box Lid Ideas

Starting my dry box build today and am looking for some lid design ideas that will keep the river out. The box will be constructed with .080" aluminum and riveted together. I don't have access to an aluminum welder, only a shear, hand tools and brake. Have the skills to build it, just lacking the imagination to figure it out today.

Slowmococo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2015   #2

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	1,013.4 KB
ID:	10723I like the rolled lip. It makes for a nice large gasket contact surface. Also make the lid really rigid. I'll try to post a pic of last one I made.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #3

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmococo View Post
Starting my dry box build today and am looking for some lid design ideas that will keep the river out. The box will be constructed with .080" aluminum and riveted together. I don't have access to an aluminum welder, only a shear, hand tools and brake. Have the skills to build it, just lacking the imagination to figure it out today.
Do you want to attach a seat? or is it just a straight drybox? Do you plan on making the box itself with any custom design or will it be pretty much like the rest of them that allow a gasket lip?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2015   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
Attachment 10723I like the rolled lip. It makes for a nice large gasket contact surface. Also make the lid really rigid. I'll try to post a pic of last one I made.
Todd, I like that design. who made that box?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #5
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
As far as I know we are the only one in the whole industry that have the machine to make the Tri-Radial lip. Most everyone contracts through a specialized fab shop and quite a few of those fab shops just have us make the boxes and send them out bent and formed and resell to the person who ordered through them.There is a guy in Montana with the necessary equipment but his tooling limitations you end up with a Taller lid portion. Where we can get down to 1.25 in height with our computerized press brake. We build all kinds of lid configurations for different people.

This year I am going to a factory wholesale to the public. I made the offer to other vendors who make boxes to order through us but they wanted to build their own still so we are going factory direct all USA made in Oregon Dryboxes any size 295.00 basically you are losing the middle man and the extra 200.00 of markup.

Views:	299
Size:	625.7 KB
ID:	10725,
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #6
swimming

Coastal, Oregon

Views:	254
Size:	778.0 KB
ID:	10726
Old 11-27-2015   #7
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Wouldn't let me post the photos all in one post

Views:	336
Size:	897.3 KB
ID:	10728
Old 11-28-2015   #8

Gillette, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Do you want to attach a seat? or is it just a straight drybox? Do you plan on making the box itself with any custom design or will it be pretty much like the rest of them that allow a gasket lip?
No seat, just a handle on each side. Have a DRE built frame with a seat, box will just sit under that. Think I will go with square tubing on the box itself and U-channel stuffed with gasket material on the lid for the mating surface.
Slowmococo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Where can you buy gasket material? Desperately need to replace mine on wooden dry box.
Old 11-28-2015   #10

Meridian, Idaho
Cascade outfitters has gasket material, home depot rubber door weatherstripping worked well last season. I was planning on using it as a temporary fix but it worked really well for last season at least. I had a custom drybox built, but handled installing the handles, hinge, latches, and seals myself to save some cash. It seals air tight with the rubber seal. If it gets cold when shut I have to pry the lid up from the difference in pressure.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote