Home made pvc raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-26-2014   #1

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Home made pvc raft

I saw this boat for sale the descrpition reads " home made" modeled after NRS Otter. Interesting people are making their own rubber, well, pvc.

14' Self bailing raft only 3yr old

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That thing looks pretty good for "homemade". I can't imagine it would be very effective to make your own raft but ok.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #3

Pinecliffe, Colorado
I was thinking the same thing looks pretty good for homemade.
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
One could say that a raft is just a raft, however depending on what kind of glue was used, the fabric quality, valves, etc. there are quite a few variables to be considered. It's a very clean boat for being "home-made" with what appear to be NRS-type thwart attachments, nice wear strips, etc. I'm with Mike, it doesn't look like someone's weekend garage project and if the seller got it new for $1300 I want to know who's making these boats "at home". The maker appears highly skilled and I don't see how the material and labor that went into it could be that cheap unless it was made in a production shop (or overseas factory). I have to wonder if it's an unlabeled prototype or unlabeled boat from a line that's come onto (and gone from?) the market recently.

All that said, if it's held together for 3 years, it'll probably hold together for at least a couple more. $800 for a SB is an awesome deal if it passes a thorough used raft checkout.

Be interested to hear someone with more knowledge about boats chime in on this.
Good luck!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Home made eh. Pretty sweet for home made. Not sure why you would use those valves if it was home made. I would think that if you were going to go to all that trouble, research, labor, etc. you would know about and spend the extra few dollars to put Leafields in it. Making a boat in the garage like that would be a very impressive feat. I have made a few thwarts from scratch, an I beam towable, a few other projects and all but fully rebuilt several boats. I have never once thought that I wanted to tackle a full raft from scratch. Just doesnt make sense even with the experience I have and tooling I have made to do repairs.

Not that it cant happen, people re invent the wheel all the time. I know some dudes that have done some crazy projects that didnt make sense but they did them anyway to see if they could. They spent more time and money than they would have to buy 10 of whatever they ended up building. That said, it looks more like a prototype or something. Maybe the home made aspect is the frame chafers, added d rings, handles, etc.

At any rate, go check it out if you are interested in it. Give it the standard used raft check out as Andy says.

If you find out it is homemade from scratch, give me the guys number, I have a job for him.

good luck
Old 09-26-2014   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for the reality check, ZB. I think the only time I've seen anything you could even consider calling "homemade" rubber work as nice as that, it was a piece John Sells had made from his kids. And I bet if you added up materials and labor for that kind of custom work he would want lot more than $1,300 to actually make a profit off it.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #7

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
One could say that a raft is just a raft, however depending on what kind of glue was used, the fabric quality, valves, etc. there are quite a few variables to be considered. It's a very clean boat for being "home-made" with what appear to be NRS-type thwart attachments, nice wear strips, etc.

-AH
Good point I guess that is why some cost more than others, but for $800 this raft looks pretty good.
Old 09-27-2014   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Anything that john built was not homemade. He is an inflatable artist, a real live professional.
Old 09-27-2014   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
it was a piece John Sells had made from his kids.

What kind of glue did he use?
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote