Mountain Buzz banner

Home made hopper?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  raymo 
#1 ·
Just curious, has anyone built a small personal hopper they can use at any RV dump station for a 20mm and 30mm rocket box. Something like a
aluminum or stainless steel square funnel that fits into the RV dump station's 4 inch or 5 inch hole and the top part about 2 feet by 1 foot opening with a couple handles on the sides and stands up on it's own by securely fitting in RV hole, it only needs to be about 2 1/2 feet tall, to dump the rock box constance(shit) into, than rinse out everything with provided water hose at the RV dump station. I'm thinking you could build one for about 50$ to 70$.

#2 ·
I like my EcoSafe system because it's all pretty well contained. I don't even want to think about dealing with plain rocket boxes full of crap unless it's using a scat machine. I've been there and done that, hopefully not going back...

#3 ·
Maybe even add in a steel tube/valve so you can jet water up into the center/top of the groover while it's inverted so you're not sticking your arm in there with a hose.

Seems it could be as pain-free as a SCAT machine.

I'd almost want some adjustable tripod legs so you're not relying on a 4" pipe fitting snugly holding up 60lbs of poo from tipping over.

#4 ·
The steel tube valve is a good idea, I know I have ended trips, with 4 to 6 rocket box's on private trip's, never pleasant , just thinking of an easy system to ease the pain and mess. I might have to break out a rock box for car camping if they don't unlock the public restroom's.

#5 ·
I don't really like the SCAT machines for ecosafes..you end up spraying poo everywhere (and later rinsing it) when you should only be spraying into the tank and letting it flow out.

If there was extraneous poo, I'd rather wipe it off.

Cleaning groovers should be no more (and no less) difficult than dumping an RV. Dumping RV's ain't pretty, but you shouldn't get poo in your face, either. Is it possible to get some on your hands while handling hoses? Unfortunately, yes. As a dad who has changed my share of diapers, *shrug*

#6 ·
Doing the EcoSafe at an RV dump or just down the home sewer cleanout has been no muss, no fuss for me. Screw in the discharge hose & put it in the hole, then screw in the water inlet hose, tip the box up and turn on the water. I usually wear disposable gloves for the process and it's always been tidy. I've done it with a scat machine once and there's a lot of water going everywhere and also getting in between the plastic liner and the rocket box. The scat machine seems to work really well with a plain rocket box, the EcoSafe works really well with an RV dump station.

YMMV,

-AH

#10 ·
They make all kinds of sewer fittings for the RV market.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_Sewer-sf-Connectors_and_Fittings.aspx

I looked into adapting a 20mm ammo box a few years ago. When I totaled up all the pieces plus shipping: I was going to spend about 2/3 the cost of a brand new EcoSAfe.

The EcoSafe has the advantage that it all fits inside the 20mm ammo can.
My homemade version would have all the adapters needing to fit on the outside where they might be prone to damage.

I think it was the photo of a truck running over an undamaged EcoSafe that clinched it for me. A hundred clams for not having to deal with a leaking homemade version seemed cheap to me.

#11 ·
Osprey, located some good discussions from other MB articles, thank you. I have never used a scat machine or hopper. Commercially we mainly used 55 gallon drums, on private trips I mainly dumped the rocket box's at my Uncle's farm with a septic system, my cousin's sold the farm about 5 years ago, the few other times I used the RV dump stations. I was just thinking if a small hopper was out there to use with a rocket box(ammo can) at an RV dump station, if we had to use it at a camp ground where the public rest rooms are locked or off limits do to virus. With the available information, looks like my best bet is the Eco system. Thank you, for the ideas on my contraption and products to use. I have used the Eco system and other products that other rafters have brought on trips and in hunting camp durning hunting season.

#13 ·
SCAT machines generally suck, I'd rather tote it home and deal. I go to my local municipal sewer treatment plant, where they have a 15' x 15' square funnel of concrete with a hose that makes it a 2 minute job that is as clean as is possible. Oh and it's FREE. I don't know if this is an anomoly but I suggest you folks living in smaller remote towns inquire within.

Our plant use to offer a service where you could just drop river toilets of any type off for about 7 bucks (on the side) and come back a couple days later and pick them up. They used those funds for the company 'christmas party' or whatever and most local river folk loved having that service and contributing to the cause. That is until a small local faction of anti-gubberment idiots got wind of it and had a conniption fit about it and shut it down. Upside: Free and easy dump now, but it was truly easier before. Downside: Not many but the Plant guys have to pay for their own christmas party, which I was happy to finance.

The only trips I go on that have 4-6 boxes are GC and we rent those anyway, so while I can't speak to those disposal methods, the above described solution would be the most efficient way to dump in that scenario too.

But SCAT machines suck.

#14 ·
I built a clean out lid from a design I copied from the previous Mtn Buzz threads. Here are the parts you need:
1. Spare Rocket box lid.

2. Straight hose adapter sewer fitting:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39413-...1591211251&sprefix=camco+39413,aps,243&sr=8-1

3. Bayonet flange 3”:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T10...keywords=valterra+t1009&qid=1591211298&sr=8-1

4. RV dump hose:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Durabl...=1&keywords=camco+39601&qid=1591211720&sr=8-1

5. Bulkhead tank fitting ¾” Female.

Attachments

#16 ·
Creative design from MB.

I saw that idea too. From your links on parts, I may just try to build one, I have the rocket boxes, so I just have to sacrifice a lid. We only filled our rocket boxes half full or less anyway before swapping them out on trips we usually had plenty of room on our boats, because at the take out we filled them with generous amounts of water and more Pine-Sol, this way it created more of a liquid mass, making it alot quicker and easier to dump and clean out,
plus each morning we added about a third cup of Pine-Sol and some water, too keep everything broken down and keep the smell down. So using the technique with the RV dump hose should work well at a dump station. I will keep the connection on the lid as close to the corner as well too. Than just leave the lid in your vehicle or at home till I'm ready to dump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.