Hole in raft floor- how to get water out? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-20-2010   #1

Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
Hole in raft floor- how to get water out?

Did a quick search and didn't find any info... so here it goes:

I got three small gashes, about 1" long each and all close to each other, encompassing about a 2" diameter circular area, on the bottom of the floor in my raft (Achilles, hypalon). We had to do a real quickie patch job on the river, and there was no time to get the water out of the floor at the time. I removed the patch that we put on then, and I've been trying to drain the water out of the floor through the small gashes. I have the raft slightly elevated now, with the lowest spot roughly where the gashes are to try to get the water out.

So... is there a better way to get all the water out? I know that leaving water in the floor can deteriorate the glue on the seams of the floor, so I want to make sure it gets dry.

yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010   #2

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Options I would try:

1) take the valve off and drain out of the hole it leaves

2) cut a bigger hole where the current tiny holes are. You are going to patch it anyhow.

3) sell you raft to an unsuspecting newby in the spring.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #3

Denver,, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
At a similar issue--
hung my raft up from the ceiling and duct taped a vacuum to the valve. the vacuum was attached to one of those preset timers so it would go on and off and inflate/deflate the floor a couple times a day. I actually inserted a straw into the hole to help hold it open.

Left the boat attached to the vacuum for a a week or two and then patched it. I know that you can also buy something from a hardware store that will absorb water. Maybe you can try doing that.
borkin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
If I suspect moisture in my boat I will let the air out and then inflate it on a warm day- repeat. The water will condense in the air and each time you'll be getting a little more of it out. I do not think that a little bit of water inside of your boat is that big of a deal unless it's sloshing around- if that's the case you need to get it out. If you have a dry place you could consider running some kind of fan through a pvc pipe to circulate air inside of it but that seems pretty extreme.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
I'd keep inflating the floor and let the air pressure help push the water out of the existing holes. They are on the bottom side? correct?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #6

Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
@Marco- I thought about that, but unfortunately I'm in Oregon right now, and it's almost rainy season. probably not going to be very many hot, arid days in my future, so I doubt vaporization will have a big impact.

Tonight I went and and used my foot pump in the backwards direction, i.e. put negative pressure on the entire floor until it was really flat and air was being pulled in through the gashes. I think I got out a lot of it, so I'm hoping the little that's left (no sloshing sounds...) won't be a big deal. ??? Hopefully, anyway.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #7

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Even a small amount of water inside a self-bailing floor will break down the adhesives that hold the ribs in place and destroy the floor. You must get every bit of water out. Use a wet/dry vacuum to suck it flat. Reinflate. Repeat several times.

I too live in Oregon, and I don't think we're going to see much sunshine until about June. Still, evaporation is the only way you are going to get all of the water out. Take the raft indoors if necessary. Blow it up in the family room, sit in it and watch Deliverance, then vacuum it flat. Blow it up again, sit in it and watch River Wild. You get the idea.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010   #8

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
Options I would try:

3) sell you raft to an unsuspecting newby in the spring.

You are so bad. But I like it, deep down inside..
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010   #9

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I wouldn't worry so much about it. I'll bet the majority of folks have at least a few tablespoons of water in their floors and don't know it. Get what you can out using one of the mentioned methods and forget about it. My two cents.
FranBoatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010   #10

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranBoatMan View Post
I wouldn't worry so much about it. I'll bet the majority of folks have at least a few tablespoons of water in their floors and don't know it. Get what you can out using one of the mentioned methods and forget about it. My two cents.
That was my attitude, too. And I ended up buying a new floor for my $5400 Riken Cheyenne after the I-beams in the floor separated. I sent the floor to a raft repair facility in California (because Riken had ceased operations in the US) and was told that the damage was caused by long-term exposure to moisture and that it was not repairable. Replacement Riken floors were not available, but I was able to get a Hyside floor to fit.

So if you don't care much about your raft (or your $5400), then don't worry about it.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting