Hitch Extenders... - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2015   #1

Boise, Idaho
Hitch Extenders...

I'll probably get flamed by the upper class for poverty boating (I prefer frugal floating) but my cat is just a little too long and my trailer is just a little too short. I'm thinking about using some hitch extender products to help out. Anyone familiar with products like this? Here are some samples:

12 In Hitch Extender

Curt #45796 18" Receiver Extender - BendTrailers.com

Ultra-Tow 2-Inch Standard Weld-On Receiver Tube with Collar — 48in. Length | Hitch Adapters| Northern Tool + Equipment

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015   #2

., .
Did it different on a friends trailer. We unbolted the trailer tongue coupler and bolted on a 2' - 3' trailer tongue extender where the coupler was, then bolted the coupler on the other end of the extender. We just extended the trailer tonge, not the hitch on the vehicle. Probably a better permanent fix in the long run.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...eta/RRTX2.html
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #3

Boise, Idaho
Right on. I have thought about doing that but I think my coupler might be welded on. I have also thought about cutting and welding the ol trailer, as well as buying a new trailer. For now I'm going as cheap and easy as possible until the motor cat project is off the ground. Once the motor goes vroom and the boat actually drives the sky's the limit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I run one of those when I have my camper in my truck bed and they work fine. You just need to be careful with deep dips in the road so it doesn't bottom out.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #5

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
There is also a bolt on folding tongue extender. You remove the latch mechanism on the trailer tongue and bolt a longer/folding extension on your trailer. It's made for folks who want to store their boat in their garage- they would cut the existing trailer tongue off short- and add the "swing away trailer tongue" which allows them to fold it after the boat has been backed into the garage- popular when I lived in florida. You would simply add it to the existing trailer tongue to get the additional length you need.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #6

Boise, Idaho
Nice these are good ideas. If anyone out there has done anything randon crazy and or unique we'd like to hear about it...
Old 02-25-2015   #7

., .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
There is also a bolt on folding tongue extender. You remove the latch mechanism on the trailer tongue and bolt a longer/folding extension on your trailer. It's made for folks who want to store their boat in their garage- they would cut the existing trailer tongue off short- and add the "swing away trailer tongue" which allows them to fold it after the boat has been backed into the garage- popular when I lived in florida. You would simply add it to the existing trailer tongue to get the additional length you need.

I really like the swing away tongue concept and may have found a new project here for my 18 1/2 trailer. However, I just found a coupler that is used on the existing trailer tongue by cutting the tongue in half adding the coupler to the cut. Instead of cutting of the tongue and adding a whole new swing away tongue.

I've just need to figure out if the swing away would impede the trailer jack.

Fulton Fold-Away Coupler Hinge Kit for 3" x 5" Tongue - Weld On - Up to 9,000 lbs Fulton Trailer Coupler FHDPW350300

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
You can do it that way and add whatever length of stock you need. Mount a jack on the trailer body end I would think

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015   #9
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
You'd be happier to extend your tongue and leave the hitch alone. I hate all the clunkiness of that stuff, and they do add leverage to your hitch setup. I like the looks of that fold away coupler, that would be nice for my trailer. There are a lot of unanswered questions though, like how much weight do you tow, what are you towing with, what does your trailer look like, etc.
Old 02-25-2015   #10

Boise, Idaho
light trailer and boat I'm working with. Maybe 2 or 3 hundred lb boat sitting on the trailer. Its some old tilt bed outfit from the 90s. Looks to have a 4 inch boxed tongue. Everything needs to stay pretty light as I'm towing with a 4 cylinder Tacoma