Help with Woodland Power Stove - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-06-2014   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Help with Woodland Power Stove

Alright, time to take a beating, er ask for advice. Seems like my power stove has very inconsistent performance. Sometimes it sounds like a jet with nice blue flame and other times its a yellow flame. More often than not it leaves soot all over my pot. As for the flame dampener I'm not sure when it should be used. Anybody wanna walk me through proper operation of this thing? Thanks in advance.

hialtitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Troubleshooting | The Power Stove

I'm not sending the link to be a jerk. I was going to answer your question to the best that I could remember the instruction manual saying something about how you light it. I searched for the manual online and found this link. I only use mine for high power so I haven't experienced your problem.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
"blasters" are pretty simple devices. They use a jet or hole where the propane comes out at a high velocity. This mixes with air and heat and when inside the tube it creates a venturi effect as the heat rises sucking in even more air. That is where you get that great sounding jet burner.

I've messed with the Woodland stoves a bit and have seen this problem. If you are not getting the venturi then you are not injecting enough fuel. You may need to clean the orifice in the bottom of the jet but the first place to start is disconnect unit from propane tank and turn the Woodland stove to off. Reconnect stove to propane tank (you could try another propane tank) open tank and then try to relight the stove. It is critical that the burner is in the off position prior to turning the tank on. If this does not work you may need to purchase a new 0 to 10 adjustable regulator. They are readily available and under 20 bucks. Other possibilities are moisture contamination freezing. My experience is that regulators do this a few times before they quit working all together but yours may be improper connection.

Best of luck. I have heard a lot of people complain about this with the woodland stove. If you search the site you will find other information regarding this issue. Pleas let us know how it goes.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
Several good points have been made. I will emphasize that the tank valve is an important component of the system, and I have found my WPS works more consistently on one tank than another. Most of my problems with soot and performance were traced back to poor flow at the tank valve.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #5
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My stove went down when sand entered the Acme Nut. The black Acme nut is designed to restrict the flow of propane to a set number of BTU's.There is also an excess flow valve inside the nut that will shut down if the hose ruptures. All this crap will go to hell if sand gets in.

Make sure there is no propane coming out the vent on the regulator.
Old 09-06-2014   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
Lots of reasons to like the woodland stove.

But, I never could get mine to run anywhere close to what it should, so I retired mine.

Maybe with these tips, I will take the time to find mine and see if these tips make my woodland stove work like I think it should.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
unlucky pretty much said it all.

My regulator crapped out on day one of a cold middlefork trip. sucked! Since then I carry a spare.

I have one friend who got tired of it all and put a ball cock valve and a needle valve on the thing. one regulates flow from the tank and the other flow from the burner. Dont remember which is which No regulator problems anymore and the thing is a monster when he wants it to be and will simmer a small pot. He hasnt blown himself up yet but i dont know what kind of safety issues it poses. I decided when both regulators i have crap out, i'll probably go that route since he has been a well tested guinea pig.
Old 09-06-2014   #8
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
You may be on to something

I like to experiment. I may give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
unlucky pretty much said it all.

My regulator crapped out on day one of a cold middlefork trip. sucked! Since then I carry a spare.

I have one friend who got tired of it all and put a ball cock valve and a needle valve on the thing. one regulates flow from the tank and the other flow from the burner. Dont remember which is which No regulator problems anymore and the thing is a monster when he wants it to be and will simmer a small pot. He hasnt blown himself up yet but i dont know what kind of safety issues it poses. I decided when both regulators i have crap out, i'll probably go that route since he has been a well tested guinea pig.
Old 09-06-2014   #9

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
I had this problem and it turned out that the stove was pushed into the sand to far and was not getting air thru it at the bottom and would not work properly.
cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014   #10

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Carry a small aluminum plate to set the stove on. AKA "Blaster Pad"!
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote