Help with building a new cat frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-17-2015   #1

Monticello, Utah
Paddling Since: 2004
Help with building a new cat frame

I need help trying to build a 1.25" break down cat frame with double rail frame.
I have all the parts ready or in mind. And I have a fellow down in Moab who is going to sell me the pipe at a great deal, my last missing part is something that I saw on on of Chip's posts.

"The double corners are from Sid's Sports (listed on the Jack's Plastic Welding website)." ( I hope the picture comes out right)

They would make the new frame fit on top of my car and it would add the strength I need.

Does anyone know if anyone is making anything like for a fair price?

Also if anyone is looking for a great frame guy in the Moab area:Raft Frames Eddyline Welding

jdeslauriers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015   #2

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Shouldn't a great frame guy be able to do a 90 degree bend, one weld and 3 cuts?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015   #3

Monticello, Utah
Paddling Since: 2004
It is the slip joints joints that he hasn't ever done, and yes I could have him weld in a smaller pipe, but it would seem that somewhere some one is still making something like this. So any leads would be great, I am just trying to some ideas. But, if nothing comes up by tuesday, I will see if he can put something together.
jdeslauriers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015   #4

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
If you did it out of industry standard size tubing you'd have a lot more resources available to you. You might reach out to Dusty at DRL River Gypsies- he works in some smaller diameter materials.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015   #5

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
slip joints

Talk to your local muffler shop guy. They usually have the ability to make the slip joint on the end of the pipe. May even be able to bend for you.
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #6

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Cat Frame Fittings at a fair price

[QUOTE=jdeslauriers;398432]I need help trying to build a 1.25" break down cat frame with double rail frame.
I have all the parts ready or in mind. And I have a fellow down in Moab who is going to sell me the pipe at a great deal, my last missing part is something that I saw on on of Chip's posts.

Does anyone know if anyone is making anything like for a fair price?

Anyone can sell you pipe, fittings, raft appurtenances at a good price. The question is," do they choose to sell you these at a fair price?" Buy in the fall or winter when the fabricators are not booked full. It's supply and demand, Your lack of advance planning is costing you money.
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote