HELP: Water in raft floor & tube - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2011   #1

Great Falls, Montana
HELP: Water in raft floor & tube

While I was running the shuttle this weekend, the others we're breaking down the raft/gear at the takeout and opened the valves on my Aire SB while the raft was still half in the water. By the time I got back, the raft was deflated with two of the valves (floor and one tube) submerged. The two bladders took on a significant amount of water and I am stuck as to what I should do. I tried getting what I could out by just draining it out the valves but there is still a large amount of water in them. I have researched quite a bit on this and it seems like the most common fix is to inflate/evaporate/deflate/repeat, but I don't see too many warm days in the near future here in Montana. Does anyone have any other ideas/fixes for this problem? Also, being that the bladders on Aire's are welded PVC, would it be a huge deal if I waited for the next warm stretch of weather (could be an over a month) to try the evaporation method. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bsidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011   #2
"Just Read and Run Baby!"

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I loaned a Tomcat duckie to some friends last year and they managed to get a lot of water in my tubes. The standard "inflate/evaporate/deflate/repeat" is the process. The best thing you can do is remove the bladders from the boat and let gravity do it's work. You can also use a wet/dry shop vac to suck out the water than blow the tubes up repeatedly and let them deflate. It took me four hours to dry out my tubes. I won't be loaning out my boat to that group again.
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #3

creston, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
i have deflated using a small shop-vac, you might give that a try a few inflate deflate cycles might do the job,
shawnywhitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Thanks guys...I am renting a shop vac after work today and will try to get as much out as possible. I'm planning on letting the water evaporate, but givin the colder/rainy weather we have been having (and probably will for awhile), I foresee that some residual water will be left in the tubes. Do you think it will be a huge issue if that water is there for up to a month?
Old 03-28-2011   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
I used my old hair dryer to aid in drying out a wet tube once. I inflated it with warm air (lowest setting) and deflated it with the shop vac.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
you can also take out the valve if you have a tool for this. Not sure the geometry of your floor if its serpentine you will have a harder time getting the floor to drain.

humidity should be low enough inside your house to eventually get the water to dry out. I wonder if you could inflate with warm air from your hairdryer?
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
you can also take out the valve if you have a tool for this. Not sure the geometry of your floor if its serpentine you will have a harder time getting the floor to drain.

humidity should be low enough inside your house to eventually get the water to dry out. I wonder if you could inflate with warm air from your hairdryer?
If you end up taking apart the valve (not hard to do & relatively easy to re-install), I might even suggest dropping a desiccant on a string inside the bladder.
Homemade Desiccant Packs | eHow.com

Get a bunch of silica gel from Hobby Lobby, put it in a sheer stocking and let it absorb the moisture inside the bladder. You could even replace the valve & leave the desiccant inside the bladder until later in the season. It won't hurt the bladder to have it rolling around in there...

I'd do this after a couple of wet vac inflation/deflation cycles.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
my suggestion is to make the rocket scientist(s) who deflated the boat in the water use the above mentioned suggestions...
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Thanks guys, I was thinking about trying the silica gel method once I get the majority out. And I completely agree with letting the rocket scientists take care of it, but they don't live in town, and after this incident I wouldn't trust them with the task of peeling a banana. But, I can promise they won't be coming rafting with me again
Old 03-28-2011   #10

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
send me the boat I will dry it out just in time to float some of your permit rivers with you
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote