Helmet upgrade - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-03-2015   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Helmet upgrade

Looking for a better helmet. Have the NRS havoc. Considering the WRSI Trident, Shred Ready TDUB Carbon, Shaggy Carbon. Also open to other suggestions. My head is on the smaller side.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2015   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Sweet makes my favorite helmets. The Sweet Strutter is great and has a large brim which is good for sun protection.
RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
I have had the chance to try both the sweet and wrsi line I trust them both I have a large head wrsi is better in my opinion in terms of staying tight on my head/comfortable and sizing outfitting hope that helps. And the strutter it is a bad ass helmet for using as a sun visor comfy but just not to my liking as protection
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2015   #4

Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
I rock a WRSI Trident. Good solid helmet. It comes with a bunch of different pads to customize the fit. They are also designed to take multiple hits, aka last longer.
Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Why don't you skip the Chinese crap and get a bad ass, one of a kind American helmet?

PS Helmets

I had a friend smash up his WRSI Trident last week. We took it and showed it to Paul. He was not impressed with it. The helmet he sold my friend feels way more solid!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Why don't you skip the Chinese crap and get a bad ass, one of a kind American helmet?

PS Helmets

I had a friend smash up his WRSI Trident last week. We took it and showed it to Paul. He was not impressed with it. The helmet he sold my friend feels way more solid!

What do you own stock in the company? Those things look like a joke! Do they come with a Cracker Jack prize too!? Wouldn't be caught dead in one of those my sweet rocker has way more protection.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
What do you own stock in the company? Those things look like a joke! Do they come with a Cracker Jack prize too!? Wouldn't be caught dead in one of those my sweet rocker has way more protection.
Like PS has stock holders.... That's a good one

Those are the real deal bro, not a joke at all. The dude that makes those has developed and sold to or been ripped off by basically every major ww kayak manufacture. He makes the sickest squirt boats too.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #8

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post

PS Helmets

Thanks Randaddy. I was looking for a old school helmet, and those appear to be the real deal. If only I could afford a RivrStyx paddle.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I don't know anything about PS helmets, but my concern would be the helmet lining. It sounds like it just uses some minicell foam for fit. The foam lining is a big part of impact absorption. EPP tends to be the gold standard for multi-impact foam like you want for kayaking. For rafting multi-impact may be less important as I would think you're more likely to be worried about one big hit falling out of a raft.

The fact that your buddies Trident was smashed up doesn't necessarily seem bad to me - depending. Especially on a composite shell, cracking is going to be part of the impact absorption.

Anyway, Sweet, SR, and WRSI seem to be the major and most popular players. For helmets though, you really ought to go try it on to test fit. I found Sweet helmets just don't fit my head very well. I find the WRSI occipital lock being part of the same system as the straps annoying and harder to adjust (plus I think they look kind of goofy). So I've gone with SR. Even though you pay a bit more, the light weight of the SR carbons is pretty awesome.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I have a SR shaggy right now. Fits great with the red (large?) pads inside. I'm looking to add a full face to the gear pile this winter. I'm hoping the sweet full face fits my head, as it seems nicer and more comfy than the SR full face, and everyone loves them. But it doesn't fit I'll gladly get the SR full face for less money.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote