Helmet That Stays Put? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2017   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
Helmet That Stays Put?

Looking for helmet recommendations. I have an NRS Havoc that fits me nice and snug, but as soon as I hit water it creeps down and blocks my vision- which is....a problem. I've scrolled through old threads here, but considering designs are updated and introduced regularly, I figure it's a topic worth resurrecting. Is this a matter of size or design? Or both? I would never have projected the slip based on out of water fit.

Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017   #2

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Helmet That Stays Put?

I have a bunch of NRS Havocs too. I didn't like them, but they are great to lend to others. Almost everyone that uses them complains about something, fit, hurts with sunglasses, etc.

I got sick of wearing one the Havocs so I just recently bought a Sweet. I like the baseball style brim for keeping the sun out of my eyes. It's comfortable, works well with sunglasses. And it stays put. My wife's Havoc slips forward too and she's miserable in sunglasses so I'm shopping for her too now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017   #3

Indianapolis, Indiana
PS Composites has a strap system that has more adjustability so you can get the helmet pulling straight down. PIA to get adjusted correct, but has seen a couple class v swims without budging. Had a shred ready that even with the rear HOG strap would still slip no matter how tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
bellotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Love my Sweet Wanderer helmet. 3rd helmet I've owned and best fit yet. Works well with thin or neoprene skull cap underneath.
shoebvco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
Shred Ready shaggy works well for me. Cover is pretty low but they make similar models that don't go so far down. The retention system rocks.
giegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at Shred Ready and Sweet, but there aren't many reviews for Sweet out there, so I appreciate these. I'll have to look into PS Composites.

I love the idea of the sun brim, but I wonder about the ear protection on those. I'm not too hard core, so maybe that's not an issue at this point. Regardless, it's good to know these stay put. It turns out I like being able to see when I'm dumped in the water!
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote